Chapter Ten: Time To Play

I guess there are always people around the Richard Rogers theater. There was three girls that had been waiting there and had flipped when Lin showed up to the stage door. He was very nice and did pictures and autographs with a grin that made you want to smile. I think one of them recognized me, but said nothing. Eventually, Lin was was able to enter with me right behind him. We dropped off our bags in his and Rory's dressing room and then Lin went to go see who was at the theater before he made the 'call'. That's what they called getting the actors and techies together for the show, but to me it seemed a bit like the Avengers. I settled into Lin's chair and shuffled my Broadway playlist on Spotify. Mama Who Bore Me from Spring Awakening began playing and I closed my eyes while listening to the violins eloquence.

"Hey Lin, I'm-" Chris Jackson stopped in the doorway's entrance and stared at me. "Who are you and what have you done with Lin?"

"Uh," I really couldn't think of how to answer this. Hi, I'm a kid Lin took in? That sounded legitimate. Not.

"Chris," Lin's voice came from down the hall. He came into the room and gestured to me, "this is Lark, V and I took her in for a little bit."

Chris looked from Lin to me and then back to Lin, "Oh, okay? Sorry about the interrogation earlier, Lark. I'm Chris Jackson, I play George Washington."

"It's all cool, Mr. President," I joked. He nodded, said bye, and walked away. I didn't blame him, it was a lame joke.

"You really shouldn't joke, it's too painful to watch," Lin teased.

My cheeks were red from embarrassment, "Shut up."

"'Mr. President', really?" Lin continued.

"I'm bad at jokes. Sarcastic one liners are my thing. And really bad Broadway puns. I annoyed the crap out of my other crew chief for tech. Like she hates you,"I said before breaking off laughing.

Lin faked hurt with a sad expression and a hand over his heart, "Why have you made this girl hate me?"

"I played too much Hamilton and voiced too many history facts," I answered smiling.

Lin, still playing sad, said, "And she's in...theatre?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I was a techie for costumes at school."

Lin dropped the act and grew excited, " I should hook you up with Paul Tazewell, he designed the costumes for Hamilton and like a billion other shows. Sometimes he shows up on performance nights."

I nodded and smiled, "That's really chill, Lin. And I just realized that sounded like chillin', but I did not say that."

Lin laughed at my awkwardness and lack of the ability to shut up. Noise echoed down the hall. And I looked inquisitively at Lin.

"That would be the cast and crew," Lin answered. I nodded and didn't voice the nerves. I failed with Chris, but I already knew Pippa, Renee, and Daveed from last time Lin dragged me here. I shut off my music and slid my phone into my pocket. I followed behind Lin like the shy, small child I was.

We met the cast in the hall, well most of the actors like Leslie had yet to arrive, but a decent amount of swings and main cast actors had arrived, significantly Oak, Daveed, Anthony, and Jasmine. They called out to Lin and he smiled and called back.

"Who's the kid?" Anthony asked. I smiled shyly and waved from behind Lin. Lin directed me forward.

"This is Lark, she's staying at my house for a while."

Most of them waved and said hello.

"Small child Miranda!" Called out Oak who ran forward and picked me up off the floor in a hug. Even though I was surprised I hugged back. It was one of the best hugs I've ever had. Oak put me down and we all laughed, including me.