Chapter Thirty: "Are you ready to go on that drive?"

"I hope to do great with you too."

Did that mean he wanted to raise me as his own. I'd be like, his daughter. I just- everything was complicated. I feel like it'd be weird if I called him 'dad' or something. And I might not stay with them. What if I messed up and they got rid of me?

I pulled away from Lin and we sat through the awkward silence with neither of us knowing what to do next. I pulled out my phone and went through my notifications. I was bored- no, I don't know what I was, but I knew I didn't want to read or draw right now. Suddenly, a very familiar song came on over Lin's phone.

"I gotta feeling, that you could be feeling-"

I smiled at the thought of The Book of Mormon. It was an amazingly awesome thing to say I knew Rory.

"Turn it off," Lin sang trying to get me to smile. It worked.

"Like a light switch," I finally chimed in.

"You know, it kinda fits to play this since Andrew Rannells grew up in Omaha. He played King George the III at one point in time," Lin rattled off.

I raised my eyebrows, "By that logic, we should play Hamilton or In The Heights on the flight back to New York."

Lin raised and eyebrow and grinned, "Hamilton was written like everywhere else, but New York."

True, I've heard that Vanessa had planned vacations so Lin could write while she went out and explored. That actually seemed liked something Vanessa would do. The flight attendant walked up the aisle and stopped.

"Hello, how is everything? Is there anything you need?" She asked politely.

"No, I'm good, thank you," I replied. Lin gave her a thumbs up and she scurried away.

Lin looked down at her phone, "Holy crap, it's ten o'clock already."

"Really?" I ,must've slept longer than I thought. We'd be landing in about twenty to thirty minutes. But then it's be an hour and a half drive to Norfolk with my sister. I feel like that'd go fast as I haven't seen Lizbeth since my Great Grandmother's funeral in February. That was a little over two months ago, wow. That was honestly super depressing.

"So what's your family like?" Lin asked looking up from his notebook.

I shrugged, "My siblings are all pretty chill. They might be protective over me, especially Adam, he's kinda intense. Both my grandmothers and my grandfather are a bit crazy. I have a couple half-aunts and half-uncles. My step-grandmother- my mom's stepmom- is nice, but she hasn;t been well after my mom's dad died."

"Okay," Lin nodded, "Be careful of Adam."

I sunk back into my chair and thought over my family. I wasn't sure what Lin was thinking about them. Nebraskans kinda had a hillbilly stereotype which wasn't quite true. Sure we used to fire roman candles at each other on the fourth of July but that was probably the most redneck my family got. Grandma Katherine was actually really prissy and always wore black and white and steamed my clothes every time I came over. Nebraska was a republican state and- oh shit!

"Fuck!" I exclaimed realizing something. Damn it, I should've remembered this.

"What?' Lin said looking surprised, "I should probably parent you for cursing, but I wanna know what's wrong?"

How do I word this?

"Um, you might get some hate from my grandparents," I say hesitantly.

Lin, now confused, asked, "Why? Because I made you part of my family."