Chapter Thirty-Eight: I Should Tell You

Days had pass since the proposal. The Miranda family was pretty preoccupied with the upcoming Tonys. On top of Hamilton performances Lin had rehearsals, awards, and announcements. Everyone knew about Mary Poppins II when Lin's involvement was announced. Today I was hanging out with the cast.

David Guzman was washing out the cafecito.

"Newsies own, David Guzman, say hello to Broadway.com," Leslie said pointing the camera. David yelled hi over the chattering cast.

"How was your trip, Lark," Daveed asked whilst sipping from his cup.

"Eh, exhausting. I was glad to see my family, but I missed New York," I answered honestly. I held nothing due to the new rule: No cafecito for Lark, ever.

"Where are you from anyway, if you don't mind me asking," Jasmine piped up from the couch across from mine.

"Its cool. I'm from Norfolk, Nebraska so Johnny Carson is my homeboy," I answer awkwardly. Sometimes it felt like everyone else in the cast is from impressive places. I'm from a place known for cows and corn.

"That's really cool, Simba," Ephraim Sykes replied, "Is there any cool things about your town because of that?"

"We have a beautiful theatre. 1,234 nice seats, a large apron and deep wings. 2.5 million dollar sound system," I answer remembering the multiple shows I watched there.

"Oh my god, that's fantastic! The shows there must be really good for a high school," Hope Easterbrook commented.

"Yah, we host state one act tournaments. I always felt kinda bad, because my friends back home say they feel like assholes when they got to the surrounding schools. Everyone around us are B and C schools."

After that Anthony and Jazzy broke out in a cafecito song. I sat back quietly and enjoyed the familiarity of the cast. Truthfully the constant laughter and chaos reminded me off when everyone lived together when I was little. Aiden, Adam, Madeline, Lizbeth, me, Lucas, Logan, Layton, and Mom all together, like it was supposed to be. One time, I was trying to call mom to tattle on my sisters, they gave me the home phone number.

"Hey Lark, are you excited about the Tonys?" Hope asked.

I jumped and tried to play my fright off, "Uh yeah, of course. You guys had your first rehearsal today, right? How was that?"

"Hectic," Daveed answered.

"Utter mayhem," Leslie added.

"Really cool," Anthony finished.

I winced, "That bad?"

"Yeah," Leslie answered, "But don't worry. We have like a week of practices, we'll get it."

A week? Just a week? I looked around at the calm faces. These people were incredibly talented, incredibly funny, and incredibly kind. Everything about Hamilton and its cast and crew was amazing. How the costume designer got every detail to tell a story. How the stage designer got the simple set to look like it could host a revolution and the downfall of a founding father. How every lyric and beat could make us excited or make us break. I just couldn't believe I got to witness the story in action on and off stage.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed. Intrigued by the call, I answered it.

"Hey Lark, do you want to come over? My family got home from California early and I'm super bored. I went to your apartment and no one was there. Are you working?"

I smiled, Aya was home! My smile fell, I'd have to tell her everything.

"Hello?"

"Uh, yeah. I'll be over. I'm not a work. See you in a bit, alright?"