Chapter Forty-One: So Big/so Small

Lin had long since left to the Tony rehearsals when I woke up he next morning. I only had a couple of days until I was back at the library, so I took pleasure in sleeping in. For once, I didn't have a nightmare last night, so I was extra chipper when Sebastian waddled into my room.

"Ark! Choo Choo," the almost nineteen month old cried.

I swept my messy hair up in a ponytail as I got out of the blue sheets, "Okay, but I call Wilson."

The little boy giggled, "No, Koko."

"What about Percy from Thomas, or Lady? Ladys my favorite," I teased the boy.

Sebastian gave a shocked expression, "Ady?"

"Yeah man, do you wanna watch my favorite Thomas movie?"

"Yeah!"

And that's how we ended up watching Thomas and the Magic Railroad. Sebastian was enthralled when the stop-motion engines (none of that animated crap) were on screen, but not so much at the live-action people parts. For me, I was hella nostalgic. With my parents and grandparents doing model railroading as I grew up, I remember trains quite well. Helping my Dad and and Grandpa Darrol downstairs in the layout every Tuesday, going to conventions with pink engineer hat, Layton refusing to go to bed without his Annie and Clarabelle toys. I remember looking for spikes by actual rails and having to pee in a cornfield. Don't get me started on North Platte's railyard.

"Ark! It's Ady!"

I was pulled from my thoughts and looked at the screen where Lady resided at the moment.

"Yeah man, she's my favorite. She was one of the only girl trains on the show while I was growing up," I explained excitedly. Sebastian nodded, enthralled with my favorite Thomas movie. I smiled, thinking back to the old times. Before all this shit happened.

“How's my favorite engineers?” Vanessa asked while walking into the room. Her hair was up in a cute bun and was rocking a gray t-shirt and Lin’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pajama pants. I smiled.

“Whooo! Whooo!” Sebastian yelled enthusiastically. Vanessa laughed and swept up the train entrepreneur in her arms.

“Yeah, this little engineer needs food and a new diaper,” Vanessa said while heading to the box of diapers.

“I’ll get breakfast, apples and cinnamon?” I respond, and start for the kitchen.

“Sounds good, thank you.” Vanessa called from the living room. I smiled. Yesterday sucked, but that didn't mean today would.

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

“I’m home!” Lin called from the hallway. I heard shuffling as he took off his shoes. I stood from my position of the couch and smiled as Tobi ran to lick Lin to death. Sebastian screamed and wobbled carelessly after the pupper. Lin came into view with a Sebastian on one hip and a Tobi on the other. “I have all the small children!”

I laughed as Vanessa came into view with a questioning expression. Lin stopped and smiled wickedly. Suddenly, he came running after me. My eyes widened with my grin and I jumped over the back of the couch. Lin dropped Sebastian and Tobi like care packages on the couch. He stepped on the cushions and leaped over the back. Vanessa and Sebastian were laughing my as Lin chased me around the apartment. Tobi followed on Lin’s tracks until I was cornered in their office. I pressed myself by the wall and keyboard as I was attacked with tickles and Tobi kisses. I was laughing so hard that I was crying and Sebastian was standing with Vanessa.

“Okay, okay, but settle down. My case papers are scattered on my desk.” Vanessa interpreted while leaning on the doorframe. Sebastian, who couldn't take it anymore, ran forward and jumped on his dad's back. With Lin occupied, I took the opportunity to push Lin away and hide behind Vanessa. Lin, who was in the middle of tickling Sebastian, suddenly stopped and perked up.