Drafted

My friends, family and I were all gathered around the tv in the LSU Tigers locker room. And by friends and family I mean teammates and family. My team was really supportive of my pursuit to become a big league star. So it made sense that they would be there with me to watch the draft. 

"Ladies and gentleman I don't believe this but for the first time in history a woman has been selected in the first round of the MLB draft." In that very moment I realized I was drafted after all I'm the only girl/woman in college baseball. My teammates all put there hands on my shoulders.    What team was all I could think. "Out of LSU the Philadelphia Phillies select Abigail smith as their first round draft pick." I am a Phillie. Everyone was cheering but I was so shocked I couldn't cheer. 

"Abigail how does it feel to be selected as the first overall pick by your hometown team?" A reporter asked me. Everyone knew I was from Philly.

"Yeah man it feels great. Obviously as a kid I grew up watching these guys. So it's gonna be fun accomplishing my dream and I hope to bring a championship." I went for the classic yeah man that so many players used I have to be as normal as possible. 

"Now Aaron Nola the Phillies current ace also attended LSU obviously you two didn't overlap when you were on the team since he graduated when you first joined. But how do you think it's gonna be having a fellow LSU star RHP?" A/N- RHP is a right handed pitcher. 

"I think it's gonna be cool. I mean here they never stop talkin bout him. I'm looking forward to playing with him." Aaron Nola's name was brought up frequently on the team. I didn't think much of him aside from the fact that I've been told I pitch like him. Honestly I couldn't understand him he seemed so confusing to me. I mean he was constantly contradicting what others thought or said.  You can't figure him out.

Later that night the team and I went out celebrating my getting drafted. We were all pretty drunk but it was just me and the boys. We kept talking about how bad the Phillies were and how I'd probably get called up soon after I start in the minors.  

As soon as I got to my dorm I fell fast asleep and my mind was filled with Phillies thoughts.  I still couldn't believe I was gonna go pro. It all felt like a dream.