Natchez

"Sorry." I said shakily to Aaron as we ate breakfast silently.

"For what?"

"For stealing your virginity and giving you this hangover." 

"Are you kidding me? You made me realize just how fun life can be! And honestly Ab I can't imagine a better to have ha my first time with."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Same here. But we can't let this confuse things with the team and everything."

"Yeah. I don't have feelings for you or anything, I was just drunk."

"Yeah me too." I looked to the ground and sighed. I knew, I had always known it, Aaron had never liked me. 

"So I believe we have a special dinner planned for tonight..."

"What are you talking about?"

"The Natchez." 

"Aaron, you got the tickets?!" 

"I couldn't resist." 

"Oh! Aaron thank you so much!" He smiled as I got up to squish him. 

In preparation for the big dinner I did something I never would've imagined, I went shopping for a dress. But it was for a big/good occasion. It had been years since I had last went clothing shopping for anything other than sports clothes. Aaron took me out to the shopping district which I had to admit was kinda cool. There was still a bit of an awkwardness to how Aaron and I acted from the other night but it wasn't too bad. 

"Hi, we're here to look for a dress for me." I said to the  person working in the highly expensive clothing shop. She smiled and took us to find a couple of dresses most of which I felt terribly weird in. But who am I kidding I feel weird in every single dress on the planet. I had tried on several dresses, non of which Aaron saw since I was too embarrassed or too uncomfortable to show him. I had never showed a teammate what I looked like in a dress or my "girly side" so it was a lot for me to comprehend. 

Then my hand rested on a red fabric. It felt smooth and comfortable in my hands, it reminded me of an athletic fabric. The red had drawn my eyes to it, red had always been my favorite color ever since I was little. I decided to try it on and the crazy thing was, I liked it. The dress fit my body nicely, showing off my curves and it had a lower neck that showed a bit more cleavage than I would like but it was nice. it was one of those things that makes you feel good when you wear it and changes who you are as a person when you wear it. For example, this dress makes me feel confident and unafraid of what people think, kinda like my uniform. I gathered up my courage and stepped out of the dressing room to show Aaron and his jaw literally dropped.The dress came up to my knees and spun a bit as I twirled.

"You like?"

"Ab, I love it!" He smiled. "Lets get it!" 

Later in the day I got some makeup and shoes. What impressed me most was the fact that I could still remember how to put on makeup . I'm not one to brag but I honestly looked amazing in that dress with my hair done up and with makeup. But when I stepped out to find Aaron I was shocked too. He had on an adorable suit complete with a sports coat that made him look so official. We both spent a while staring each other trying to figure out what to say and how. Particularly after last night it felt extremely hard. 

"Aaron, you look so handsome."

"You look so gorgeous." He extended his arm and I grabbed a hold of it as we began our enjoyable, romantic walk. The backs of our hands touched and suddenly a wave of confidence took over me and I intertwined my fingers with his. His felt so warm and soft around mine that I just wanted to hold them forever and never let go. 

"And... we're here." Aaron said as we walked onto the loading dock for the Natchez. 

"Yes, we are." 

We walked up the stairs and onto the second dock, jazz music played through the boat as people explored, waiting for departure. 

Half an hour into our little boat ride and Aaron and I were getting into a deep conversation about things I never would've imagined talking about with teammates. But Aaron was different, Aaron was special, there was something about Aaron that just made me feel better. 

"You know this is where I want to get married someday?" I said after a while of speaking over the dinner. 

"Yeah?"

"Yeah and  get a house on Royal Street, probably have a couple kids, I don't know but I just know i want my life to be here, you know? It's a nice escape from baseball, I mean I like it and all but sometimes you just need a break." 

"I completely agree. But i got one question," 

"Yes?"

"Who is it that you think you may marry?" I sighed, how are you supposed to explain to the man that you want  to marry him? I kinda spaced out and just tried to think of how to explain.

"Abigail? You ok?" 

"What? Oh yeah. Wait what was the question again, I'm sorry?"

"I said who is it that you want to marry? For example, my brother."

"No! Not your brother! I don't like him! But I  do like / want to marry someone thats very similar to him in terms of looks except he's actually much better looking." I paused to look into his eyes and continued. "He's special and unique, I love who I get to be  when I'm around him and when I'm near him I feel fearless and human. I feel like I am complete when I'm around him and nothing could go wrong when I am around him. "

"Wow, really? So who is this mystery boy exactly?" 

"None of your business! Besides I've said enough. Now, lets head out onto the deck for sunset."

Sunset on the Natchez was beautiful but not nearly as pretty as Aaron's eyes is what I learned when we stared at each other for a bit. I had been standing with my arms resting against the railing my eyes looking to to the Mississippi when Aaron came over and placed his hand over mine. I turned my head when he turned his and for about a minute our eyes were locked. There were no words involved with any of this just eyes.

They began to play slower more romantic jazz and Aaron took my arm and led me to the dance floor. I didn't care that i couldn't dance cause something told me it wouldn't matter. Aaron's hand rested on my waist as I wrapped my arms around him. My head leaning on his chest, we slow danced till the boat stopped and we had to get off.  

For a bit after the boat we walked around. We went to Rouses where an amazing singer was singing and just stood and listened. My eyes began to close as the music flew through my ears. SO I rested my head on Aaron's shoulder as he gently brushed my hair back, lulling me to sleep.