Planning

"Don't think you won't pay for what you've done," Morgana warned. Merlin frantically looked for Arthur but could find him nowhere. Where did he go? He could have sworn that he was holding his hand only a moment ago.

"It's unwise to threaten me, Morgana," Merlin warned. 

She rolled her eyes. "You're a pathetic excuse of a person. Always trying to be the hero but instead just being collateral damage. Doesn't it get tiring?"

"I'm not a hero," Merlin said, feeling confident. "And I don't pretend to be one. I know where my duties lie, and they lie with Arthur. With my family. I would do anything to protect the ones I love."

"Let's see how far you'll take that," Morgana sneered. 

Merlin felt a hand on his shoulder. It was a strong arm, and it brought a smile to Merlin's face. He knew who it belonged to. 

"Leave him alone, Morgana," Arthur demanded.

She rolled her eyes in response. "It's coming to and end, Merlin. And it's going to end in flames."

As soon as she strutted away, Arthur examined Merlin for injuries. "Are you okay?" he asked. "Did she hurt you?" 

"No, I'm fine. I just... I think something big's coming," Merlin whispered. 

Arthur nodded and hugged Merlin before realising that they weren't supposed to be showing this kind of affection at school. They couldn't have Uther get suspicious. "I worry about you," he said.

Merlin nodded. "It'll be okay. I'll be fine. I'm always fine," he chuckled weakly.

Arthur remembered Merlin's face when he was injured. He remembered how weak Merlin had been and how his death had been more than probable. Arthur remembered the piece of paper he had written during that time, and how the paper was now tucked into his desk. He wasn't sure he wouldn't have to read it in the near future.

At lunch, Merlin sat with Gwaine and Lance like he always did. Gwen joined the table, and Merlin liked her as a substitute for Morgana. Gwen and Lance held hands under the table, and even though they tried to hide it, Merlin could tell.

"I saw Morgana talking to you this morning," Gwaine said.

Merlin looked at him and nodded softly. "It was nothing," he lied.

"Didn't look like nothing, mate," Gwaine said.

Merlin shrugged. "It doesn't matter. I can handle her."

"Are you--"

"I'm fine, okay? I'm gonna go get some fresh air."

Merlin got up and rushed up from the table. He went outside to the field and sat down on the bleachers. He put his head in his hands and took a deep breath. Why was he taking Morgana's threat so seriously? She'd hurt him once, and she had much worse intentions. She could hurt him again. But no. He was more worried about her hurting Arthur. That Merlin wouldn't be there to save his love when he was supposed to.

"Merlin, can we talk?" someone asked from behind him. He turned and saw a concerned Lancelot standing behind him. He nodded and Lance sat down next to him. 

Silence passed over them. 

"You're planning something," Lance noted.

"I'm always planning something."

"It's different this time. It's bigger."

Merlin nodded. "She has to be stopped."

"And you'll do whatever it takes, won't you?" 

Silence.

"You're throwing your life into the mix, Merlin. Look what she's already done to you! Don't you think she'll do it again? Maybe even finish what she started?"

"I don't know, Lance! All I know is that if I don't do this, Uther will die and there's a big chance that Arthur will too. I can't sit back and watch this happen. I need to take matters into my own hands. I have to stop her. I don't care how I do it."

Silence again. This time, the gears in Lance's brain are turning a million turns a minute.

"What can I do?"