Chapter 30. Stay With Me

~~

The casket was heavy on Gerard's shoulder as he carried it down the stairs in front of the Immanuel Presbyterian church along with Frankie, Mikey, Bob, and Ray. The fact that the rain had been falling all day was fitting, he thought. The funeral itself was a quiet, intimate affair. It  was just he, the guys, and their wives... Ellie would have liked it. They reached the bottom of the stairs, and carefully slid the casket into the waiting hearse.

Gerard shut the door, and looked in the window. He pressed his hand against the glass, and said a silent, and final 'Goodbye' to Ellie he had known and loved so much. 

A hand fell on his shoulder, he looked and saw it was his brother

 "I love you, Bro. I'm sorry this is how you had to come back." He nodded and looked around at the other guys. Bob, and Ray both gave him a quick hug, and started off towards their cars.

 He then looked at Frankie, who was just staring at the back of the hearse, with tears in his eyes. Jamia wrapped her arms around him, and guided him away, giving a heartfelt nod towards Gerard, who responded with the like.

He stood there alone.. it was a feeling that he was no longer used to, after Ellie barged into his life.  

After watching the hearse drive off, he turned and walked down the sidewalk, in no particular direction, letting the rain soak him through.

~~

1 year later:

In the end, Gerard thought it was best that he let the house go.  He did not want to be there with the memories that it harbored.  He loved two women in his life, and they had both been gunned down in that house.  He really did not even want to go back in there to pack it up.

He also decided that it was best that Gerard Way stay dead.  Ellie Williams, was now buried beside him for all of eternity, and he liked to imagine that they were happy together.  He buried her with the name Ellie Williams~Way.   He visited every so often, just to think, and clear his head.

Now, he was just getting home from the courthouse, with his new legal identity.  Gerard walked through his new house, into the master bedroom, and onto the balcony. 

From behind, he wrapped his arms around his new wife feeling her round belly.  "How's mommy doing this evening?"  She smiled as she felt his lips meet the crook of her neck. 

 "Just fine, thank you for asking, Mr. Rush.."  She turned from watching the sunset, and hooked her arms around his neck, giving him a sound kiss on the mouth.  

"What was that for, Mrs. Rush?" he couldn't help but smile, while he folded her back into his embrace.  "Just because I love you."  He looked into her green eyes, and nuzzled her cheek.