3

"I'm sorry it's just that I didn't think you would actually talk to me." I admitted feeling a bit insecure when they exchanged looks and looked at me a bit confused. I decided to elaborate a tinge bit more without looking as insecure as I felt. "I mean you're like really cute and edgy and I'm just Tay." I added. I began twiddling with my fingers which was a effect of my blunt rambling i had not intended. I bit my lip nervously while Cole began to respond.
"Wait do I look unapproachable?" He queried pointing to himself with an amazed look.
Dylan began laughing as he pointed to Cole. "Did you just call him edgy? This kid cried for a week when his girlfriend broke up with him." Dylan cackled before tilting his orange mug into his mouth. I raised my eyebrows a bit surprised that my accusations were wrong and it turns out he wasn't even the edgy one, it was really his brother. "Screw you." Cole remarked blankly but a hint of annoyance etched in his words. He stared down at his hands and listened more to what Dylan added. "She didn't even break up with him, it turns out her phone call was breaking up and she tried to tell him, took her about a week to finally clear things up." Dylan finished. I nodded holding a awkward smile.
As we sat in silence I tried to act as girly as possible and suck my tummy in at the same time to create the illusion of a pretty and skinny girl I'm sure they would like. I also had to remind myself that I was a women of color so I am probably not his 'type'.
"But you come here everyday my brother tells me, why?" Dylan continued after seconds of silence.

I come here to write about your brother and how attractive he is.

"Just like the coffee." I lied hoping I wasn't too obvious. "So what brings you here?" I asked. I decided it was my time to stop being awkward and start the conversation, it must've been a relief due to their face expression. "I'm moving in with my brother here and this is the closest coffee shop." Dylan nonchalantly said. His arms spread out around the booth and on the table facing Cole who hadn't spoken.
I hope Dylan telling me about his girlfriend didn't embarrass him because it was cute in my opinion. I rubbed my hands together and pulled my shirt sleeves into my hand and ended up kicking the table and thinking it was Cole. It took me a minute to realize I didn't abuse his shin so I carried on calmly. "So are you still in contact with her?" I asked Cole trying to get him to talk a bit. At first he didn't notice I was talking to him because he was to consumed in reading the lunch menu. He snapped his head up and hummed so I repeated my question. "Oh yeah, we're still dating." I mentally cursed her out and stuck my middle finger up under the table but above the table I was congratulating them with a fake smile. "Are you dating anyone?" Dylan asked. I honestly wanted to lie and say yes because I wasn't interested in him and I didn't want him getting any ideas because I was focused on Cole but he had a girlfriend. "Nope, I'm a single beetle." This time I mentally cursed myself for that little 'single beetle' bit. I was talking too much so I'd speak when spoken to but otherwise this was going slow and smooth I just wished Cole could look at me like how I look at him.