Chapter 15

Evie's POV

When Erik and I finally arrived at the cathedral, I saw how beautiful just the outside was. It was built into a cave-like place next to the underground lake, but it had the same outside beauty as the Notre Dame Cathedral. This screams Erik. What a genius he is! I haven't even seen the inside and I'm marveling at the beauty.

"Evie are you coming?"

I hadn't noticed him opening the door. I nodded my head and followed him inside.

I was expecting beauty, but this just blew me away. I was staring up at the ceiling, the walls, the lights, just everything. I think Erik can sense my wonder, because he is patiently watching my every move. I meet his eyes and I can only imagine how big my smile is. I then walk over and take his hand, and I lead him over to a wall and ask, "Who painted all of these breathtaking scenes?"

I sort of figured out the answer on my own, but I wanted to make sure. By his body language, I got the confirmation before he spoke a word.

"It was...me. I had a lot of time on my hands before Christine came to the opera house, and I wanted to fill the bare walls with something people could admire."

"You are even more talented than I thought." I don't think there's a talent he does not possess.

"Well, thank you, but there are many improvements I could make-"

"Erik! These are more beautiful than Michelangelo's works! I understand why you think that-anyone who creates anything always doubts their abilities-but you should look at it through the eyes of someone who did not create it. Look at his expression, I can feel his emotions. They are intense, yet not overwhelming. You painted a perfect scene, and I am grateful to be able to see it."

"Thank you. I don't know what to say." I have never seen him so shocked and a bit uncomfortable, so I smile at him warmly to reassure him.

"Well that was good enough for me. Now how about we start lessons? And maybe if we have time you could show me the rest of this place?" Now he's smiling.

"It would be my pleasure. The organ is over at the front of the church, so let's make our way over there."

We walked to the front and all I could think about was the beauty surrounding me: the paintings, the sculptures, the architecture, Erik. I just can't help but feel overjoyed in this moment.

"Alright, let's start with some scales."

And so the fun began.

A few hours later, we finish practicing and we are both very satisfied with how my voice is improving. Erik has told me I have the acting and emotions down, I just need to work on my technique a bit.

"So, do we have enough time to explore?" I know I sound like an excited child, but I really can't contain the excitement I have!

"Yes, I believe we do. You're flying through these songs. After tomorrow you will be more than ready."

"Thank you for all your help Erik. It really means a lot to me."

"You're welcome, but I think it is I who should be thanking you. You're the only person to treat me like a human being. You're the kindest person I've met, and I think your heart is bigger than all of France."

My cheeks are burning at this point, and my smile is probably the biggest it's ever been.

"Well thank you very much. And I think the same about your heart. It's bigger than what you may think." I lightly poked the spot on his chest where I think the heart is located.

Somehow, we've inched closer, and we're standing here staring at each other. There's an electricity flowing through the air, but I don't really know what it means. I mean, I've never had a boyfriend and certainly not a first kiss, so I'm not sure if that's what's happening here or maybe it's just my head messing with me. Eventually he snaps out of it and says, "Well I think we need to get you back to your world. It is, after all, past midnight and I can only imagine how busy your day will be tomorrow."

A sigh escapes, and I reply, "Yes I suppose. Although I would rather stay here with you. I mean, who really needs sleep? It's all a mental battle."

Wow I'm really tired. I think Erik senses this because he laughs and says, "I think you're a little sleep-deprived. Let's get you to your room."

We start walking, and of course I grab his gloved hand. I don't walk with him without doing so. It has become a habit.

The long trek to my room ends at the mirror. We say goodnight and I hug him goodbye. This time though, I kiss him on the cheek, smile at him, and then enter my room. I'm hoping he doesn't mind. I can sense he's still there when I immediately drag my feet over to my bed and curl up under the blankets. Right after that, I pass out.

Erik's POV

I can't read this girl. She is unpredictable and confusing to me. The way she treats me is foreign. She is kind to me because she wants to be, not because she's afraid of the damage I'm capable of causing. I don't know what I feel toward her, but every time we get close it's as if there's an electricity flowing through the space between us. Sadly, I don't know what it's supposed to mean. She said all of those wonderful things about myself and my works. Apparently she thinks I'm some sort of genius, but in all honesty she is the one with the talent. Her stage presence is powerful, and I'm confident she could play any role. That is including Aminta from my beloved Don Juan. Maybe I will tell the managers to put on my opera, but I'm not sure what it would be like to practice those songs with her; she is too pure. I suppose time will tell.

I haven't heard the replacement for Giovanni yet, but I know he and Evie know each other somehow. My blood starts to boil. He seemed to be a little too close to Evie for my taste. I hope he can surpass my expectations, because she can't be performing with an inexperienced imbecile. She's way too perfect for that.

I spend all of my time thinking about her now.I'm starting to wonder if I have deeper feelings for her than I originallyallowed myself. Although, it is late, and I haven't had much sleeplately. I could be imagining all of these feelings. Maybe a good night's sleepwill shut these feelings off for a while. Yes, when I wake up, I won't be inlove with Evie anymore.