Chapter 32

Evie's POV

I sat up all night talking to Louise about what happened and what needs to happen in order to save Angelique. We came up with a plan that was impossible to fail.

When I finally walked back to my room to take a shower, I found a note on my door that said I have to speak with the managers as soon as possible. Huh. I wonder what this could be about.

After I am all clean and ready to go, I make a quick stop by Louise's room to tell her where I'm about to go.

"What the heck do they want? You know, if I had enough money I would buy this beautiful place and fire those buffoons quicker than they can count to three, which could take a while."

"I agree. Then we could run it perfectly and live happily ever after."

"Wouldn't that be lovely? Well, I suppose you should get going. Remember, don't take any of their crap."

"Oh you know I won't. And they won't enjoy what I have in store for them either."

We grinned wickedly at each other and I started my journey to the managers' office.

When I arrived, their secretary let me in immediately.

"Well hello Evelyn, please, take a seat."

"Thank you Monsieur Perrot. And it is lovely to see you both. How are you this fine day?"

They looked extremely serious when they took their seats. I noticed Monsieur Bisset give a slight nod to their secretary, and he left the room hastily.

"Alright Miss Garner, we request your assistance. Yes, we were upset with you for being in cahoots with the Opera Ghost before, but now we realize how correct you are. In case you were unaware, Miss DeChagny disappeared last night. We are not sure where she is, but we have a pretty good hunch she is with said ghost. Now, we know you have experience in dealing with him, so we figured you would know how to trick him. Would you be willing to help us keep Miss DeChagny safe?"

That was the last thing I was expecting to come out of their mouths. They actually want my help? Alrighty then.

"I don't know what to say. I was expecting you to kick me out of my room and ban me from coming here ever again. But you want my help. Well the only answer I can give is no." They looked shocked when I said that, but I motioned for them to slide me the piece of paper on their desk, along with the pen beside it. Then I continued, "You see," I began writing on the paper, "I don't want my life to end because I am trying to defeat a man who simply cannot be defeated. In case you haven't realized it yet, you either comply or die. It's as simple as that. I do not want to die, so I am going to comply. I will not help you, but I would like to remain in the ballet so I can at least be a small part of my favorite thing on this planet."

I had finished writing when I was done talking. My message was clear, but written very tiny so Erik couldn't read it if he was spying, which I'm pretty positive he isn't. Safety is still important however.

"Yes, well, see, that's the problem. We want you to be the lead so we can make Angelique the alternate. It would keep her performing, but she would be out of harm's way. Also, you are full of emotion when performing, but she is lacking of it. We need Christine to seem somewhat like a human, not some perfect creature from heaven that is too innocent to show anything."

"Well, thank you. I accept. I will need to make sure my safety is considered as well, but I can manage pretty well on my own."

"Ah yes, we have taken care of that for you." I hear a door open and an all too familiar figure walks in.