Chapter 29

Evie's POV

Today is the day of the big ball we've all been waiting for! I'm so excited to wear the dress I got, it makes me look and feel like a princess. Scratch that. I'm a queen in that dress! Buh bam!!

Louise gets to my room at about five and we freak out! We've never been to a real ball before, especially not a masquerade!

"So how was dropping John off at the airport this morning?"

"Well, he didn't like leaving after the fiasco last night, but he misses his family a lot. Did you know his sister had her baby a couple of days ago? Well, John's the godfather and had to see the little guy as quickly as he could."

"Awe how cute! He better send pictures or I'll be mad."

"Yeah I made sure to tell him that."

She starts working on her hair and I start getting everything ready. When I go to pull my dress out of my closet, I lose my breath. It has been replaced by the most stunning dress I've ever seen! I find a small note with Erik's initials on it, and my heart brakes. What is he doing? He seemed to be so mad with me, but now I'm staring at a stunning dress from him. Yeah, he is definitely the Phantom now.

"Louise, come look at this."

She puts the curling iron down and looks in the closet. "Holy ship, this is the most beautiful dress I've ever seen in my whole entire life! Where did you get it?"

I give her a serious look. "It's from him."

"Like him, him?"

"Exactly."

"Wow. Well. He sure knows how to pick out a dress. That cut is perfect for your shape!! I can't wait to see you in it." Something clicks mentally for her, because her face lights up. "Uh oh!! Inspiration! Sit in this chair immediately! I need to do your makeup while I've still got the image in my head." She's too funny. I sit down and prepare to be beautified.

Fifteen minutes later, she steps back.

"Evie, look at yourself in the mirror."

"HOLY SHIP ABOUT TO SAIL! I LOOK AMAZING! Louise, how the heck did you do this?" I look stunning. I can't believe what she did! Mikhail will freak, and if Erik were here he'd probably go nuts. That is, the good kind of nuts. Not the Phantom nuts.

"You gotta be good, that's all I can say." I haven't heard her catchphrase in so long!

"Oh my gosh I guess! I've never felt more beautiful in my entire life! Thank you so much!" I give her a hug and prepare for her to do my hair as well.

After about two hours of styling and preparing, we finally walk out the door.

We weren't expecting the grand staircase to be so brilliantly decorated, and filled with so many people in so many beautiful outfits! We spot a few of our ballet friends and join them.

It's so colorful and joyous here, which is exactly what this place needs. I get so many compliments that I can't say thank you quick enough. That boosts the little self-esteem I had.

I spy Mikhail surveying from a distance, but avoid meeting his eyes. Hopefully he won't recognize me tonight, considering I already showed him my dress and he won't be expecting this one. I certainly didn't expect it.

"Evie look! The cast is getting ready to perform!"

She was right, they were lined up, and about to match up with their partners. I was surprised to hear the music to Masquerade start, and became worried. Another jab at the Phantom was not a wise idea.