Chapter 17

Evie's POV

Wednesday flew by, and I now feel totally ready to perform in Hannibal. It is all because of Erik. Last night I think I accidentally dropped a few hints about my feelings for him, but maybe they're happy accidents. I guess my cheeks can't help but blush around him. Oh well, it's almost time for another lesson, so I need to really focus on the lesson and not on anything about how much I like Erik...and I should start right this moment.

"Evie, are you alright? You look lost."

"Oh hey John! No I'm alright. You know me, I get lost in thought frequently."

"Yeah that's right. So-" he looked around and pulled me into the corner, "-do you have any ideas about the proposal? I'm thinking something on the rooftop, romantic like All I Ask of You! I would need your help coming up with the exact details, but I really think it's the way to go!"

"Yes, well, I think that would be great! Just don't try to make it too much like the musical, because she's not as into it as someone like me. She really loves ballet, obviously, but she has certain flowers and food that she likes. Maybe you could use a few great memories from your relationships and recreate them on the roof! Oh man I just thought of that on the fly."

His smile got huge, and he hugged me so tight I almost couldn't breathe.

"Thank you so much Evie!! That will be perfect!!" He sprinted away from me, almost bumping into a few annoyed workers bustling about. I'm pretty proud of myself for that great idea! I hope he works everything out and creates the perfect proposal!

Speaking of love, I need to get my lessons.

I had to run to my room because I was almost late, but I tried to calm my breathing before walking in. I hate being short of breath. I hear Erik's voice just above a whisper say, "Evie, you know I can hear you out there."

Well he sounds thoroughly amused. I walk in and say, "Yeah well I thought it would be polite to not sound like a horse when I walked in. So how are you today?" Yes yes, divert the attention from myself.

"Fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. Now is when my day truly starts though. Shall we get going?"

"Yes, I believe we shall." We linked arms and began walking. I noticed him glancing over at me several times, but decided to act like I was ignorant of that fact.

Once again, lessons were great, but he decided to end them early.

"You are ready Evie. I have nothing more to perfect about your voice at this point. Remember that I will be watching tomorrow, though, so make sure you perform as you've been signing in these lessons, and you will blow the audience away." Music to my ears.

"Thank you Erik. I would be nowhere without you. You have made the greatest difference in my life, and I truly can't thank you enough. I also am bad at expressing my feelings, so I hope that was adequate." Wow, my cheeks aren't on fire! I'm just looking at him, and he's looking at me.

"You're welcome." That was all he said, but it was all he needed to say. I could tell by his expression he was very pleased with what I said.

After a while he spoke up, "So I know I should bring you back to your room, but I was wondering if you want to stay for a while with me. I will completely understand if you don't want to, you have a big day tomorrow." Well I thought you'd never ask Erik!

"Of course I want to stay! What do you have planned?" That smirk can mean only something mischievous.

He doesn't say anything, he just grabs my head and starts walking.