Prologue

Having a bad case of frostbite when you walk into the Queen's chamber wasn't the best way to present oneself. Frost knew that for sure. But she had a job to do, and that was to report the status of the mission to Queen Hoarfrost.

Frost's sister was always one to keep up her image, even for an IceWing. And how she was such a successful Queen, Frost will never figure it out. As she landed on the ice, the guards ran up in a hurry.

"Princess Frost!" One guard exclaimed, helping Frost to her talons.

"Get off me," Frost shoved the guards off. "Let me pass. I need to speak with my sister. Alone,"

The guards looked skeptical for a second, but they bowed and let the princess through the doors. The hallway was decorated with carved ice crystals hanging from the ceiling, and ice sculptures lined the walls.

Frost limped her way to the door, and knocked three times. "My queen. It's Frost," she called.

"Oh! Frost! Come in!" Hoarfrost's talonsteps sounded, and she opened the door quickly. Hoarfrost was a fairly small IceWing with a slightly narrower snout than normal, and shorter spines. But her neck was longer, and her scales shined like ice crystals. She was decorated with endless amounts of gems and jewels across her body. She was smiling widely, but her smile vanished at the sight of the blackened scales on Frost's chests and limbs and talons. "Oh dear! Do you need medical attention? I can call my best-"

"Just shut up, sister," Frost shoved her way into the room. She never understood why Hoarfrost acted like she did. So... non-IceWing like. Hoarfrost was the first Animus IceWing to be born in centuries, and she kept on saying that she planned to use her Animus powers to help the IceWings... chill out. Become less dense and so serious all the time.

"The Iceborn got away," Frost said.

Hoarfrost's expression turned from worry to horror. "What?!"

"You heard me. I chased it out to the Great Ice Cliff, and tried to stab it with my spear when it's back was turned. But... but it turned and broke the spear after freezing it. I tried to rip it's throat out, but it fought back and escaped," Frost explained.

"This... This isn't good," Hoarfrost stumbled back and sat on her haunches. She rubbed her snout with her talons, making a very loud scrape scrape sound.

"Does anyone know where it's headed?" the queen asked.

"I sent Iceberg after it. He hasn't returned yet," Frost said. "I swear, I can't believe I spawned such a monstrosity,"

"At least you have it's twin, Permafrost," Hoarfrost said.

"But he's useless. He can't fight, he can't breathe frost breath, and he does nothing but complain about the cold. The brat can't even fly!" Frost growled, remembering her son.

"... What's the whole story, Frost?" Hoarfrost asked.

"What?" Frost winced at the shot of pain in her chest.

"All I heard was that the iceborn killed someone and was sentenced to death, ran away, and escaped," Hoarfrost said, her face contorted into a rare serious expression.

Frost thought for a moment. "I didn't see much. All I saw was the iceborn lunging for Frigid. The dragonet died almost instantly,"

"I see," Hoarfrost said, fiddling with one of her earrings. "That creature was as evil as we thought. We gotta find it and kill it. The rest of Pyrrhia won't be safe until we find it,"

"Right," Frost agreed.

Little did they know, a little head was peeking into the Queen's Chamber. A little dull blue head with red eyes.

Permafrost watched as his mother talked with the queen. He couldn't believe it. His sister was gone? But she was a hero! She saved him. Why did she run away? Because she saved him?

Permafrost remembered what had happened earlier that day. He was trying to get some food from the Gift of Sustenance, but a group of high ranking dragonets had come in and started harassing him, making fun of his tiny, useless wings and his scrawny body.

One started to push him towards the frigid waters, where he knew his lower cold tolerance would kill him is he stayed submerged. But the dragonet didn't push him in, he just grabbed his head and shoved it under.

Permafrost had struggled and struggled, and he felt like his lungs were going to implode at any second.

But then the dragonet was thrown off him and pinned down by his sister. Permafrost watched as Frigid's scales froze and turned black around his neck, and his screams died.

Permafrost was happy. His sister just saved his life, but his sister didn't look all to happy about it. She had turned to him and said "I'm sorry brother. This might be the last time I see you,"

Now she was... gone?

'No,' Permafrost said. 'I will find her!'

He turned and ran down the halls to the outside. He didn't stop running until the Ice Palace was out of sight. He was on a mission. He would find his sister, if it was the last thing he did.