The Cure

"Excuse me ma'am? Could you possibly expand on this cure you speak of, and who are the 'they' you speak of?" The reporter asked, sounding really confused.

It was almost liked Will's mom had planned for us to be listening in on the broadcast. I mean I had just ripped apart a quarter of the building, if I were me, I would be watching, and I am me so it's a good thing I'm here.

The woman with straight white hair smiled, and her husband picked up the conversation.

"As hard as this is to believe miss, we can no longer deny the existence of the modified humans that are running lost and frightened among our masses. You remember the man with wings from a few months right? He was one of them. They're a small, oppressed, organization, and my wife has been so depressed in these past months after loosing our only son to a car crash." He paused for a moment, as if he couldn't speak. It was sickening watching the man act so well.

"She wanted to help them, so we started to develop something secretly, we call it The Cure, it's meant to completely cleanse the body of unnatural substances, which can also mean curing them of their mutations. Right now it will only work on the mutants, or modified humans, but we're hoping to advance it into an all-around cure that will fight against all diseases." He finished with tears in his eyes, the reporter being pushed back by several other people.

I glanced back, watching Will for a reaction. His brow was furrowed and he let out an angry grunt and practically stormed out of the room. There was a loud flapping sound heard from the other room and I can only assume he went up to the rafters to pout again.

Mr. and Mrs. Gilligan didn't follow that up with anything, they just continued to smile and wave and pretend they weren't being bombarded with question as security pulled the reporters back. Wi flicked off the tv and it went dark.

I walked into the hallway Will was in and saw he was indeed, pointing on one of the banisters.

"Bad news?" Justin asked, saddling up besides so that we could stare at Will together.

"They're just so fake!" He exclaimed. "They don't miss me at all, they're probably just glad I'm out of their hair so they can get a better son to inherit their stupid company."

I personally never had to deal with the whole parent thing, but what I gathered they could be quite frustrating.

"Ooh are we making a 'disappointment to our parents' club?" Dylan asked, rolling up beside me. "I think I'm finally starting to fit in."

I glanced down at him in and spite of myself smirked at his dry and dark humor. I'm guessing he probably wasn't that bad once you got to know him.

"Hey look, about earlier-" I started, trying to rebirth my apology.

He glanced away from me. "I'm fine. Don't worry about it."

I didn't want to let it go so easily but at that moment Josie came ripping through the hall at the only speed faster than light, the speed of Josie, she nearly caused the carpet in the middle of the hall to find a new residence on the wall as she ran circles around us, chattering like an excited eight year-old, which she was so I wasn't surprised.

"Justin!" She shrieked. "Guess what I did?"

He smiled and leaned down to her higher. "What did you do little bumblebee?"

She spread her wings and buzzed the dramatically, even thought they didn't really lift her off the ground.

"I flew." She sang, "me and fluffy flew!"

I assumed she was talking about Will, and aparently so did Justin because he glanced back up to where Will was perched with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh you did, did you? I hope fluffy was being responsible when he decided to take you on this little trip." Justin folded his arms.

Will raised his hands in a defensive gesture and shrugged. "I have no idea what she's talking about! We were playing with stuffed animals when I hung out with her."

I watched as Josie leapt towards Dylan (who I now realized had turned a few shades of red darker than normal) and bounced up and down on the foot rest of his chair white prying his knees and demanding 'again, again, again' over and over.

Dylan raised his hands. "I can explain."

Justin's face was mixture of smiling and confusion. "Please do."

"She saw me going down some ramps, normal instead-of-stairs ramps, and wanted to have a ride, and so we uh, went around the perimeter a few times...Although I can't explain fluffy that's a mystery to me as well." He fiddled with his fingers nervously.

"When was this?" Will asked, seemingly calmed down a lot more.

Dylan leaned back a bit. "Oh, it was...yesterday."

"I was wondering where she had gotten off too." Justin put his hands on his hips sassily.

"You're always wondering that though." I pointed out, Justin shrugged.

A tired looking mess of pajamas and unbrushed hair walked by me. For a second I wondered if someone new had arrived when I noticed the Universe's #1 Space mum coffee mug and blonde streaked hair.

"You know Abby." Dylan started. "There are these wonderful devices called alarm clocks that I think you'd really love."

She pointed at him. "Respect your elder my padawan, does anyone know where we keep the good hot chocolate? Richard keeps trying to give me murky hot water and I've decided to start a revolution." She declared, waving her fists, Abby was the only adult I knew who could pull this off in custom limited edition Tauntaun slippers.

"The safe in his room, the key's in the ugly sweater hanging up on the doorframe." Justin whispered. "But you didn't hear it from me."

She gave him a thumbs up, then ruffled Dylan's already messy blonde hair as she moved at the speed of an AT-AT towards the hot chocolate safe. He turned to follow her and the two started chatting. Then Justin left to follow Josie on another one of her adventures.

The sight made me feel quite alone, I knew eventually Genny would come, probably try to talk Will out of his funk then eventually climb up to the ceiling and forcibly drag him down. Heck, Justin and Sabine were probably even dating now. I was alone however. I didn't really have anyone who I felt I could really open up to if I needed. Sure Tui and I were close but not romantically and I didn't want to worry her with anything that I was going though. It just kind of felt like everyone had someone except for me. Was that because of my mutations or whatever? Did I scare people?

I walked out of the hallway and spread my wings out. They looked like bat wings, spindly and leathery. Some places on the fingers had rough scaly bits like a crocodile's skin. Those were the two animals in me. They weren't exactly the cuddliest mixture either. I just don't think anyone quite understood, no one else was really quite as grotesque. Was it because of my anger issues? Why do I have such a hard time talking with people?

It made me kind of wonder what my life would be like it I took The Cure that Will's parents seemed so excited about.