I Ruin Everything Vol.2

We had been studying the project Dragonfire pamphlet for a few hours now. Mr. Wales had brought us a book on advanced biology, college level, to help us out but it's not like any of us could understand it. The only biology teacher we had here, a quirky man called Mr. B, only taught tenth grade level and could help us to an extent.

    What we had learned so far: it was a folder that was set up like a presentation, like a chapter in a book. It was about chemicals in your brain, specifically hormones, and some sort of device, a small chip, that was put in the brain. We weren't exactly sure what either of these things did, or why the illustration of the lizard mutant was there.

    I banged my head against the table. "Plaubfffft. I am so bored."

    "You want to watch me take apart this iPhone?" Chespin asked, he had stopped contributing a long time ago.

    I glanced over at him from the corner of my eye, he had his own tray to not take of table space and was using one of the smallest screw drivers I had ever seen. I would love to watch if I understood anything about it. Sometimes hanging around my friends just made me feel completely dumb.

    "Do you suppose they plan on making another modified human to match this one?" Genny asked, she was laying upside down in her chair holding up the page with the lizard mutant.

    "That would make sense." Will answered. It was the next day and he had calmed down a lot from venting about his parents.

    "Do we know who might possibly be the candidate?" She continued.

    "Well can't they just take anyone off the street?" I pointed out.

    "That's not true." A voice from the ceiling announced.

    I glanced up to see Gecko. If you don't remember him, he's the nineteen year old with flaming red hair and limbs that are sticky, like a gecko. He and Casey were the two that parented everyone when I lived in the Lab with Frankie, Rapheal, and Poppy.

"What? Will asked, everyone craning their necks to look at him.

He hung off the ceiling by his hands and landed on the kitchen counter, parallel with the small (or should I say tall) table we were all gathered at.

"I'm good at listening, and I'll tell you certain mutations can only happen to certain people." He explained. "It matters how good of a job the parents did at taking care of themselves when we were born."

Sabine raised an eyebrow. "Interesting."

"The healthier the fitter our parents were the easier we are able to take more complex DNA changes. If you're stuck a permanent way, like me." He waved his hands up for reference. "Then you probably weren't so good, but if you can change into a different state, then your body is better, and your parent must have been healthier."

"That's disgusting." Will face twisted up. "In a moral way."

Changing reminded me of Dylan, I stared at him from across the room, he had moved away from the table and had hoisted himself out of his chair to a small couch that was also in the kitchen area. He was reading a book and had stopped paying attention to us a long time ago.

"Does that mean Tyler's parents must have been "more fit"." Sabine made air quotes in the air.

I was yanked back to the conversation. "Huh?"

She gestured at me. "Because you know, you get angry and..."

I blinked. "Oh, well I never met my parents so I wouldn't know."