Chapter 22- Familiar Places and Faces

Julie's p.o.v.

I wake up to voices. Wait, what? When I went to bed last night, my dad was the only other person here. I walk out of my room, and stand at the top of the stairs. I listen closely, and then I recognize the voices. They belong to Andy and Kadan. They're here a few days early. I should have known they'd follow me.

I walk quietly back to my room. I softly shut the door behind me. I sit back down on my bed. What am I going do? I can't talk to them, but I can't exactly ignore them and be rude, either. I decide to take a shower, while I ponder what I'm going to do.

Had they waited until they were expected, I could handle them being here. They just had to show up early, messing me up even more.

When I'm done showering, I put on something I haven't worn in quite a while. I put on a pair of my ripped jeans, a tank top, a flannel, that I tie up, and my favorite pair of cowboy boots. When I'm dressed, I head downstairs. After I get off the final step, I notice the voices have stopped. I look up to see everyone staring at me, with their mouths agape. I smile. "Daddy, I'm going to the little diner for breakfast. I'll be back soon. Love you." He nods. "Y'all may want to close y'alls mouths, you don't want to eat a bug."

I go out the door. Once I'm outside, I chuckle. I get in my baby, and pull out of the drive. I drive for ten minutes, before the diner comes into view. They're packed as always. I find a spot and park. I get out of my car, and make my way inside. I'm greeted by a familiar face. "Is that you, Julie?"

"Yes it is."

"I haven't seen you in such a long time. How have you been, darlin'?"

"I've been good, Miss Karla. How have you been?"

"I've been fine, dear. Where's your daddy?"

"He's at home with company."

"Company?"

"Yeah. Andy's there, and so is his roommate, Kadan."

She guides me to a table, and we sit down. "Where's Blake?"

"He's still in New York."

"Why?"

"He's in jail."

"What? Why? What did he do?"

"He raped and beat me."

"He didn't."

"He did. I'm sorry. This is isn't how I wanted you to find out."

"It's okay. I had to find out somehow. Im just surprised he hasn't called, wanting us to bail him out."

"I'm surprised too."

"I thought his daddy and I raised him better. Maybe we did something wrong."

"I can assure you, that you and Shawn, aren't at fault. Blake has a mind of his own. I think he got around the wrong crowd in high school, though."

"Why do you say that, sweetie?"

"He's been beating me for the past two years."

"I'm so sorry. Had we known, we would have helped you."

"It's okay. No one knew."

"Not even Andy?"

"Not even Andy."

"Wow."

"Yeah."

"I have to get back to work, darlin'. Will you be having your usual?"

"Yes, please."

"It'll be right out, and it's on the house."

"You don't have to do that."

"Oh, but I do. I want to take care of my favorite customer."

"Well, thank you."

"You're welcome, sweetie."

She walks back towards the front, and places my order. That woman has been more of a mother to me these past couple of years than my own mother has my entire life. That's sad.

I look out the window as I wait for my delicious food to arrive. I've missed this place so much. It's good to be back, even for a little while.