Chapter 12

~A couple of months later~

"Ready?" I ask, my voice shaking.

Hailey nods, almost crying.

We walk out of Hailey's house, a couple of suitcases with each of us. Blake is waiting for us outside as he leans against a huge van.

"Happy birthday," Blake says.

I shake my head.

"Don't remind me," I answer.

Hailey shouldn't be gone yet. Her birthday is in a month and a half. But she's leaving already. So that she knows where Blake and I are going.

Hailey and I climb into the back seats of the car; there are seven seats. Two in the front, two in the back and then three at the very back. Then there's the trunk, where all our suitcases go. Hailey and I sit at the very back. We need our space. Blake doesn't take this offensively.

The car starts to move. I look back longingly one last time at my home. Then where Tart lives. Where I made so many childhood memories. Where I met Hailey.

I put my hand over my mouth and I start to cry. I'm never going to see Tart, or my parents, or Mrs Bell, or anyone that I love anymore. Never again.

Hailey starts to cry too. She could have had another month with her family. But she couldn't, because of me.

"I'm sorry," I choke out.

"Don't be," Hailey whispers, tears running down her face.

This is only the second time I've ever seen Hailey cry.

"You should have stayed," I say quietly. "I'm sorry you have to leave so early."

"It's not your fault. I chose to," Hailey answers, but her breath catches in between almost every word.

Then, I see what pulls apart every piece of my base I had left. Tart, staring at us with wide eyes. She knows we're going. She knows we're going without her. But she thought we would at least say goodbye.

Hailey sees her too, and we just both start to sob heavily.

Blake doesn't say anything to console us; he knows what it feels like and that nothing will be able to calm us down. We can only cry it out.

We get to the airport, we wait an hour and a half, we get on the airplane. Hailey and I sit together and Blake sits with a random stranger.

On the plane, I try to not cry. But I can't help it. I watch as everything I love disappears as I rise higher and higher above the clouds.

Hailey cries too, but she keeps it quieter.

"Miss?" I hear someone say. "Miss'?"

I look up, so does Hailey, and we see a fight attendant with the food cart.

"Would you like anything to drink or eat?" she asks kindly.

"No, thank you," I say, hiccupping.

"Is something wrong? Do you feel sick?" the flight attendant asks gently.

"No, we're okay," Hailey chokes out.

"Just...you know," I add, taking a deep, shaky breath.

The flight attendant gives us a long, doubtful look but then another person on the plane calls for her and she leaves us.

"I hate this," I whisper.

"I know," Hailey says quietly, starting to cry again.

"It's not a choice."

I look up. The flight attendant is there again, except without her cart.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"It's not a choice whether you want to be a Supernatural or not," the flight attendant answers, lowering her voice.

"How do you know?" I demand.

The flight attendant chuckles.

"I am one."

"Well then, why are you working as a flight attendant?"

"It's my job to make sure the plane doesn't crash. I was assigned to do that," she responds.

"By who?" Hailey asks.

"You'll understand when you're older."

With that, the flight attendant walk away, winking at us with a sweet smile.

"Where are we going?" Hailey asks me, watching the flight attendant with a sort of angry gaze.

"Los Angeles," I answer.

A flame of excitement sparks in Hailey's eyes.

"Really?" she asks.

I nod, looking out the window. I honestly don't care where we're going. It's not with the people I love, and that's all I really care. I wouldn't care if I lived in Antarctica for God's sake. If it's with the people I love, then I'd willingly live there.

When we arrive in L.A., everything is different. And I don't like it.

"Where are we living?" I ask. "And where's your van?"

Blake chuckles.

"Right there," he answers, pointing at a white car in the parking lot.

"Magic, eh?" I ask.

Blake winks at me, throwing the keys of the van in the air and then catching them.

When we get to where we're living, I notice it is very high class. It has six bedrooms, four bathrooms, a huge office area, a huge living area, a huge kitchen, a huge dining area, and the basement's finished. There are also already sofas, a TV, that stuff.

I don't ask questions and neither does Hailey but we are both confused.

And that is how my new life in L.A. started.