Chapter 35

I could hear distant screams, from both humans and Supernaturals. I watch, frozen, as the Others descend from the sky. They all wear black, hooded cloaks, covering their faces.

"This is the first time they themselves showed up for an attack!" Layla exclaims.

Before I can ask what she means, a hooded figure lunges at Layla.

"Layla!" I scream, running at her.

I push her out of the way in the nick of time and the figure nearly misses slamming onto the concrete floor.

"How do we kill them?" I demand, as I whip my head around to find Hailey.

It's Hailey that answers me, throwing me a set of knives, a bow and 50 arrows and a small gun along with 20 refills.

"They each have a special necklace or bracelet, hidden under their cloak. Destroy that and they'll become nothing but air," Hailey says quickly, giving me another gun. "Give the knives and the bigger gun to Layla."

I hand Layla the knives and the bigger gun as she stands up. The three of us start attacking. I feel pain stinging everywhere but I ignore it, shooting at random places. I can see, through the cloaks, the special necklaces and bracelets and shoot them. None of my bullets or arrows miss my targets. 

"Layla? Hailey?" I shout, over the screams and other shouts.

"I'm here."

I wait for the next voice to assure me they're here too but I don't hear it. I turn around and see only Hailey behind me.

"Where's Layla?" I shriek.

"I don't know! She was literally just right here!" Hailey answers.

Then, Hailey looks at something behind me and shoots her gun. I hear the bullet hit something, and the impact is not far from me.

"Raven, look out!" Hailey screams.

I whip around, raising my gun and see a hooded figure. It's the first one that I've seen that I can't see the necklace or bracelet.

"Your powers are useless now," I hear a low voice sneer. "Being special means you can see our bracelets and necklaces but I'm stronger and more special than you. You can't see my power source."

Just as the Other finishes talking, he collapses. Layla's standing there, gun in firing position.

"Let's go," she says, running into another store.

"How did you kill him?" Hailey questions.

Layla doesn't answer. She ducks behind a counter and beckons us to follow her.

"I'll tell you later," she snaps.

Suddenly, Hailey shrieks. She drops her gun and falls to the ground.

"Hailey!" I exclaim, slinging my gun over my shoulder and touching her chest.

Her heartbeat is slow; it is barely going.

"No, Hailey!" I say, tears pooling in my eyes.

Layla touches my shoulder.

"We have to go," she tells me softly.

I sniff.

"She fought for me," I reply. "Now I'm going to fight for her."

I pop my head above the counter and start shooting, aiming for the tiny blue and green glows.