Chapter 20:

As the others see Remi and I returning back to camp hand in hand, not a single one of them doesn't have a suggestive knowing grin stretched across their face, I can see Logan whispering something to Sam and then as we walk past he makes exaggerated kissy faces behind us. Chuckling at his antics but too happy to bother trying to deny it, I just flip him the bird and keep walking. A gentle squeeze at my hand alerts me to Remi letting go and taking seat next to the others and after shooting her a small smile I continue moving over where Jase is lying to check on how he's doing. 

While his condition doesn't seem to have improved much, my chest still soars with renewed hope as it's the first time that in these last few days that I see a sign that he doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Sending a quick thanks to whoever it is that's looking out for him I begin replacing the melting slush on his back with fresh snow. As I do this I'm positively surprised to see just how significantly the swelling on his back has gone down which at the same time is reducing the inflammation. 

Finishing up with the snow layer and rejoining the others, I update them on my discovery. As a result we decide it's time to figure out what we're going to do next.

"Should we keep moving?" Asks Olivia somberly.

"You know, I actually kind of just want to stay here for a bit longer, maybe another few days or so? Because then it means that Jase has more time to get better and-" Sam trails off quietly swallowing hard, but there's no need for words as everyone knows exactly what he's thinking and just can't bring himself to say out loud.

Falling into a grim silence, we all mull over our own thoughts each one of us wanting to know what happened to the others.

Eventually the stillness is broken by Remi and Olivia, who are first whispering in each others ears secretively and then giggling about something. Looking at them curiously I don't know if I like the glint of excitement that I catch in Remi's eyes as she passes me. When I see the pair then pass Jase who is lying on the outskirts of our little camp and continue walking towards the cliffs we came through I have to frown slightly at their odd behaviour. With my heart in my mouth, I can only watch anxiously and with utter disbelief as the two girls start scaling the steep rock face. My body too frozen in shock to move an inch, I mentally chide Remi as I see the healing cut across her back strain every time she has to stretch her arms to reach a better grip or foothold.

Loud cackling laughter breaks me out my thoughts and with a startled look on my face I turn to my left to find Logan clutching his stomach from laughing so hard. "The looks on your faces! Priceless! God you two are absolutely done for! Those two girls have you wrapped around their fingers so tight you've gone all in, hook, line and sinker!"

Not entirely sure what he's on about now, I look over at Sam only to see that his face really does mirror mine and what I'm feeling right now. Therefore rolling my eyes and letting out a small chuckle I ignore Logan's jibes, not giving him the satisfaction of being right and then turn back to watch the girls. At this point they've climbed up a fair distance already and they're standing triumphantly high above the camp on a large flat rock plateau that overlooks the lake. Cheering and laughing happily they wave down at us while dancing around goofily and singing along to music only they can hear.

Chuckling softly Sam looks over to me, "Didn't I tell you that those two would get along well," he laughs. "And also how they would drive us crazy if they ever did meet?" 

I nod still utterly entranced while looking at Remi, "Yeah they really go get along well don't they."

Then in an instant it all goes wrong, the blood drains from my face as to my absolute horror Remi and Olivia disappear right before my eyes. One second they're there and the next they're not, I can only blink in a stunned confusion as my body shuts down refusing to obey its commands to move. That is until startled screams of terror make me shoot to my feet so quickly it's as if someone had shoved a hot poker up my ass.