Chapter 28:

To my surprise it's Ty who is standing at the edge of the tunnel and looking extremely pissed off, with a positively murderous expression painted across his face. Due to his somewhat unexpected entrance, Remi looks startled for a brief moment before still visibly upset and shaken, buring her face in the crook of my shoulder. 

Upon seeing her reaction to his presence I turn back to Ty. "I think you should go Ty, it's obvious that she isn't comfortable right now and doesn't want to see you at the moment." I say slowly and calmly, not wanting to risk angering him any further.

"No! I need to talk to her!" He protests stubbornly. 

At his words I feel Remi stiffen and start to tremble in my arms, so I shake my head firmly at his request, "Look at her Ty. This is what you did to her. She clearly does not want to be around you right now because you've scared her. Go take a breather, let everyone calm down and then if Remi is okay with it you can talk to her then. Okay?"

Ty glares at me and my rebuttal but grunts unintelligibly in acknowledgement before turning on his heel and disappearing back into the dark.

"Hey are you okay?" I ask Remi softly. However to my concern the trembles in her shoulders intensify as a soft cry escapes her.

Not knowing what else to do, I rub her back soothingly, "Okay, listen up. I'm going to pick you up now and carry you back out to the others because it's really not safe to be in here. After all we wouldn't want another episode of what happened just before, right?"

At her nod, I slowly stand and get to my feet, adjusting Remi's position as I do so, so that she's more comfortable. Getting the hint she wraps her legs around my waist and her arms around my neck like a little koala.

I chuckle at how naturally she adapts, "You know, I used to carry my sisters around like this all the time until they got too big."

Remi lifts her head off of my shoulder to look at me, her eyes wide, "Wait are you saying that I'm too heavy? I can walk!"

This time I burst out laughing in a hearty guffaw, "What? No Remi you're fine! You probably barely weigh more than 50 kg!"

She swats the side of my head, "Pfft no way, but anyway Jase, promise if I get too heavy just let me know and I'll walk."

"Sure, sure, sis." I grin cheekily at her.

Resting assured, Remi rests her head back down in the space inbetween my shoulder and my neck and sighs quietly.

"What's wrong?" I ask quietly. "Is it Ty?" She pauses, seemingly hesitant to answer me, before nodding her head once very slowly. "Don't worry I'm sure you'll figure it out," I gently try to reassure her.

"But what's the point Jase? I mean when you think about it, all we do is fight." She questions sounding far to defeated for my liking.

"Well then you just need to remember that even if it's not meant to be, life will still go on. But more importantly, know that you deserve to be happy and that means you need to take those necessary steps to be in that state of mind. If Ty is a part of that bigger picture then I am one hundred percent sure that it will happen in one way or another. And if he's not, then that's cool too. Just remember that okay?"

Remi sniffles and composes herself before leaning back to look at me, "Jase? How'd you get so good at these motivational speeches?"

I chuckle softly at her innocent child-like confusion, "I don't actually know to be honest with you. But maybe it's because of my sisters? They're twelve and fourteen now and over the years I've given them more than just a few pep talks about almost everything."