Chapter 45:

Jase's POV

So breaking into a bank, but not just any bank - No, just one that belongs to Vaaleu Agari. Who only happens to be the most ruthless and cutthroat drug dealer Rio has ever known - Can't be that hard right? 

It'll be a piece of cake. 

Pfft. 

As if. 

We're officially screwed.

I wonder what it's like to die?

'How exactly does one prepare for death? Is anyone ever prepared for death? Are we willing to fight and do what it takes to survive? Am I going to be able to potentially take the life of someone else if it comes down to their life or mine?' 

These macabre thoughts demand answers, yet I have none to give, because if I give myself the honest answer, it's that I don't know. I don't know what is going to happen, I don't know how we'll handle it and I definitely don't know how I would react in a real life life or death situation. I can tell myself all I like that I would be able to pull the trigger, but when it actually comes down to it... I don't know. This leaves me with no way to reassure myself or any of the others that it's going to be okay. 

The ever present, constant hum of the engine in the background suddenly cutting off startles me out of my unhealthy thoughts and back to reality. Having had been too preoccupied with the impossible test that has been set for us by Denyt, I hadn't even taken notice that we've already arrived at the drop-off point.

Sam rests a hand on my shoulder. "I guess it's time." He mumbles softly.

The guards who are with us are beginning to show their frustration at our unwillingness to start the mission, as not even half a minute later one steps forward. "You lot have exactly seven minutes to get your asses into gear before we fire off a couple of rounds alerting Agari's men to your presence - that is if they don't already know you're here considering that you're STILL STANDING HERE!- and then drive off and leave you here to die. Which you will." He spits at us with an ugly snarl on his face.  

Knowing he's being deadly serious I stand up, straighten my spine, take a deep breath and then turn to face the others. "Guys, we are going to be okay. The plan is simple, we get in, get what we need and then we get the hell out. End of story." 

Out of the corner of my eye I see Logan frown for a moment before he looks around and then moves towards me tapping on my shoulder, "Jase?"

"Yeah man? What's up?" I ask while turning to give him my full attention.

Leaning in even closer Logan whispers, "Are we still following the plan we came up with in the truck?"  

My eyebrows pull together in a frown, "Well I thought that was what we had discussed? Or have you just had a better idea? And why are you whispering?"

Logan motions for me to move in even closer well. "You know the guard that was in the truck with us?" 

I nod. "Yeah what about him?"

Without explaining a things, Logan glares at me as if I'm the stupid one, "The guard in the truck with us, there's something off about him. I haven't been able to to pin-point exactly what it is but- Oh no..."

"What?!" I exclaim in a whisper shout. "Logan you're not making any sense! And we only have a couple of minutes left if we want to change anything now!"

"I know, I know, I know. But listen, it just clicked. The guard, he's one of Agari's. This whole 'test'," He makes finger quotations around the word test with a sarcastic grimace before continuing. "It's just a set up. It has to be. There's no way we're getting in there without being noticed. Most likely Agari and his men already know we're coming. Now the only thing I don't know is whether Denyt is a part of this or not.  Because if he is then we might just have a chance of getting out of this alive. But if he isn't, then that means we've literally just got the world's shittiest luck landing a double agent in our midst."