Chapter 29:

Following Jase's instructions, I close my eyes and attempt to relax as the current of the water passing by gently tugs at my hair and sways it around. Trying to take my mind off what Jase and Ty could possibly be talking about, I instead focus on the feeling of the grass tickling against the back of my neck and the earthy smell in the air that reminds me of times where Ev and I have been exploring over the last couple of years.

Though I know that it has only been about two weeks since this whole thing with the summer camp and Sergeant Denyt started, it seems more accurate to describe it as two years. Because to be honest it feels like the last time I've had complete normality in my day to day routine has been a lifetime ago.

A series of splashes in the water next to me alert me to the fact that Jase is back. I hear him settle back down into his position behind me and keeping my eyes closed, I stop myself from groaning in gratification when Jase starts kneading his fingers into my scalp and neck making my skin tingle. It's a perfect stress reliever and removes all the built up tension in my muscles.

"You know what Jase? I think I was wrong, instead of becoming a hairdresser you should be a masseuse," I only manage to press out with great difficulty as I am finding it hard to talk.

He chuckles, "I think the word is masseur, since I am male."

Wait a second. That's not Jase. My eyes fly open with a start and I jump up in surprise. However with me being the uncoordinated klutz I am, I slip, and then fall backwards into the water with a loud splash. A startled squeak escapes my lips as I stare up at him in shock and I hastily attempt brush the water out of my face.

"What the hell Ty!" I cry out, most likely not only sounding but looking extremely wet and disgruntled.

Ty looks back at me seemingly unaffected with a sly smirk on his face, yet when I look closer I see that there's a storm brewing in his dark, watchful eyes, that betray him and his true emotions not matter how hard he tries to hide them. "Remi. You and I need to have a talk."

Swallowing hard, I look at the water flowing past, suddenly finding it absolutely fascinating  because in all my experience, that particular sentence has never ended in anything good. However knowing I can't really weasel my way out of this conversation, I force myself to look back up at him, "Uhhm. Sure? What did you want to talk about?" I say quietly.

Looking more nervous than I would have expected, Ty clears his throat and takes a deep breath to compose himself, "Okay. Well firstly I genuinely want to apologise for what happened earlier. Not only what I said, but also how I acted was completely out of line and I shouldn't have done that. I also want to apologise to you for saying some of the things I did in the heat of the moment without thinking about the lasting effects they could have on you, especially since they aren't true-" He rambles, talking without pause or comma.

Zoning out to his words, after a while I have to look away from his intense gaze instead staring back down at the rippling stream. It strikes me that I am still dirty so without thinking I attempt to wash my arms, soon realising that it wasn't a very good idea to put my bandaged hands in the water. Shaking my head at my stupidity I lift my soaked hands back out and stare at them numbly. At some point however, Ty must have stopped his rambling as he gently takes my hands in his and starts unwrapping the soggy bandages.

I protest, but he just places a finger on my lips and shushes me. "Remi, let me do this," he says quietly. Once they're off, he chucks the dirty, wet bandages up on the bank, before turning back to inspect my hands and then start washing up my arms. He pauses momentarily when he's finished with them and then tilts his head up to look at me with a weird expression on his face, mumbling, "Your uh. Um clothes?"