Chapter 37:

Jase's P.O.V (Continued)

Not really to much of my surprise, the shock and horror of my new reality means that the next few days pass in an unfocused blur, the hours seemingly just continuously merging into a blank timeless void where I'm simply existing not being. 

The routine I now follow is simple. Every morning, wake up to a bucket of ice cold water thrown over me in the wee hours before the sun rises, to get dragged out to one of the many training compounds.

Get my ass kicked by some sadist for a couple of hours. 

Breakfast. 

Fifteen kilometre run. 

More ass kicking. 

Lunch. Which much to my disappointment only really consists of a hunk of unchewable dry bread along with a side of some unidentifiable slop, that unappetisingly looks so revolting that I honestly don't want know what's inside. 

Specialised training and getting my ass kicked when I don't get it right. 

One hour of free time. 

Dinner. 

Sleep. 

Not having much of a choice to refuse, all I can do is follow these steps over and over every single day, without complaining too much and hope that they decide to give me a break some time soon. From what I've been told, admittedly in a very brusque manner by a very unforthcoming trainer, is that I'm supposedly being taught self defence, but to me it feels more like the instructors are just using this 'training' as an excuse to beat the crap out of me. While I find specialised training the most interesting, as it consists of how to put together and use some kind of rifle, the other tech stuff goes way over my head like how to disarm a number of different types of bombs; It brings the concerns of why we are all here in the first place back to the forefront of my mind. What is it that he need us so badly for? And most important why us? 

In another unexpected turn of events that I did not see coming, the moment the gates were shut behind us when we arrived here, Logan, Sam, Olivia, Ty and I were separated at the gate and I haven't seen a single one of them since. Not entirely sure how worried I should be considering my own treatment here, I can only really take a wild stab in the dark that they're all being treated the same. While I think Olivia and Logan will be holding up alright, I'm concerned about how Ty and Sam are doing as the two of them really took the worst of Denyt's frustration. 

During my tiny snippet of free time, all I want to do and all I really can do is sleep. The intense training every day means that every single muscle in my body aches with protest at even the slightest of movements, with never enough time to catch up on rest, while also causing my new bruises to throb. On top of that, the sheer over exhaustion and stress I am faced with on the daily is taking its toll on my head as well, as to my own frustration, I struggle to stay focused on even the most menial of tasks. Not really counting as my brain won't remember it anyway, I would roughly estimate that it's about two weeks later that I am finally reunited with most of the others, who all look just as worse for wear as I assume I do.

Slumped tiredly against a wall, not having enough energy in me left to stand, I look up at the others who are gathered in various positions around me, "You guys holding up alright?"

Sam shrugs with a sense of finality about him, his arms wrapped tightly around Olivia as they have been since he laid eyes on her, with her head buried in his shoulder. "I don't know man, I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. You don't even want to know how many times my instructor has kicked my ass for falling asleep while trying to hack a computer. And on top of that I can't stop thinking about what happened to Remi."