Chapter 37: A Promise

Song: La Vie En Rose-Louis Armstrong

¤~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~¤

Mehmet:

"Hey Beautiful Eyes. Hope you're doing well. Call me when you're free wanna take you out for dinner tonight, pretty important." I carefully typed this message.

It was Valentine's day, the day of love, and I had planned something big for today. We had *officially* been dating for a month, and although it had only been a month, I couldn't wait any longer to pop the question. I don't know what her response would be, pretty sure she'd say its too early but I am actually very serious and determined about her, and tonight would determine whether she is too or not. I had planned the perfect, fairytale proposal. I had rented out a yacht. I had laid the table decorating it with candles and rosy red petals, there was a band who'd play soft and romantic music while we slow danced to it. And I got her a 21 karat diamond ring to top it all off. All I wanted was for her to say yes, otherwise, all of this would go down the drain.

"Hey babe. Sorry I can't make it. I have my night shift :( maybe tomorrow." She replied. Great! Everything's ruined before hand.

"But today's Valentine's day!" I texted her back.

"I know, I'm sorry dear. Say what, why don't you come to the hospital, I'm pretty sure they can spare me for an hour."

What difference does it make. I planned the whole thing I wanted tonight to be special, but its all ruined and I can't do anything about it, I always kept my work first, it would be unfair on my part if I don't let her do the same thing. But at least I can go to her hospital and propose to her over there, in between emergency cases. Haha.

"Okay. I'll be there at 10 p.m."

"Done! I'll be waiting. ;)"

¤~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~¤

I went prepared though, I wore the shirt she gifted me last week on our one month anniversary, and sprayed the Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio she gifted another time for no reason at all. Although I knew she would be in her scrubs, looking extremely exhausted, probably smelling of sweat but I couldn't care less. And hey, at least I should be presentable while proposing. I bought a bouquet of assorted flowers on the way there and reached her hospital at 10 p.m. dot. I asked the receptionist where to find her.

"Dr. Nadine does not have her rounds today." She said.

"But she told me to meet her at the hospital at 10 p.m." I argued.

"Well her clinics were till 8, she left after that."

"What? Where?"

"I don't know Sir, you can call and ask her."

Where could she go? Why did she lie to me? Is she playing with me? Is this going to be the same thing that happened with my ex and best friend all over again? Will history repeat itself? My negative train of thoughts was put to a halt when I received a message from Nadine.

"Hey where are you?"

"The question is where are you? And why did you lie to me about being in the hospital on rounds? What is going on?"

Instead of replying she called me. "What happened Mehmet? Why are you so worked up?"

"I... I don't know. Where are you?"

"Take the lift to the place where we sat and had coffee while watching the sunset the day I had to work late and miss our movie."

"To the roof?" I asked confused.