Chapter 43: Spaces Between Us

Song: Cologne-Selena Gomez

¤~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~¤

Mehmet:

I could actually hear my heart shatter into a million tiny pieces when she said we need a break. I know I tend to get over dramatic but I can't help it, all thanks to my insecurities. I know, I have to control them before they catch control of me, which they already do, to some extent. But, I had to respect her decision. She did try to assure me that she won't ever leave me, and I knew I could trust her, and although, I wanted to trust her, but deep down inside, I had this fear that she just might leave me for good. And we all know, once the seed of doubt has been planted, it only takes a bit of time and space to grow into a big tree with strong roots, which would take a lot of force and strength to cut down, and if I were to be honest, I didn't actually think we had the strength to get through this. But I didn't want to suffocate her either.

She took the first available flight and left for Karachi, while I was left here all alone, once more. So I did what any other person would do, I went to work, to divert my mind. Because the more I stayed at home and thought about it, the more I went into depression, and I had to come out of it. I would occasionally leave her a message or two, and she would reply, not immediately, like she used to, but I guess it's probably because she said she needed some space. That, or maybe the difference in our time zones.

¤~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~¤

Two weeks had passed by since we hadn't spoken properly, it was nearing the mid of April. Not a day had passed by when I wouldn't have thought of her, or had her in my dreams. I would wait by my phone every single day, for her reply, till hours on end, but oddly enough, she would only message back when I was asleep, it was as if she knew I was asleep and purposely replied at that time to avoid a long conversation with me. But I couldn't complain after all she did say she needed space.

After a long day at work, I finally returned home, to my empty house. It seemed so gloomy and dull. Although it was my house, everywhere I stepped foot, reminded me of her. Every memory played in front of me, and it wasn't just today, this happened every single day when I came back from work, to my empty house. Just looking at my empty, unmade bed reminded me of the morning when I woke up to her beautiful face, while she cuddled with me in bed. That day when she kept laughing at me when I slipped on my kitchen floor, trying to make breakfast for her. Gosh! I missed her so much. As much as I wanted her to come back, I couldn't.

I went to my cupboard and selected the overly sized T-shirt she got for me the day 'I emptied my gastric contents into her car', I laughed at the memory of that, I felt so embarrassed that I could see my face turn pink in the mirror in front of me, which again reminded me of the time when I made her blush so much that she had to hide her face with her hair and rush to the washroom. Ugh! I have got to stop doing this to myself! After taking a quick shower, I got into that T-shirt and a pair of comfy pyjamas. I slipped into my messy bed, which I hadn't made, since, forever. I checked the time on my phone, it said 12 a.m.

"There's no point of waiting for her message, she's probably asleep by now." I thought to myself. I switched off the lamp, and tried to go to sleep. Today was a pretty hectic day for me, I had to drive all the way to Şile to check our outlet there, and drive back to Istanbul, so naturally, I went to sleep as soon as I lay in bed. I was woken up by my phone buzzing. I checked to see who it was. It was Nadine! All my tiredness was gone by now, I was extremely excited at this point. Naturally, since I was going to hear her voice for the first time in 2 weeks. But why was she calling me at 2 in the morning? Shouldn't she be asleep at this point? I immediately picked her call before it got dropped.

"Hey? Were you asleep?" She asked me.

What a good question to ask, it's 2 in the morning, naturally, I would be asleep! "Yeah. I had a pretty busy day, today, so I went into deep sleep as soon as I jumped into bed." I said.

"Oh, I'm so sorry."

"It's alright, what's up?"

"I couldn't sleep." She seemed a bit off.

Well if you couldn't, does that mean you should've interrupted my sleep? Don't get me wrong, it's not that I didn't want to talk to her, I was enthralled for her to have called me, but I had work the next day, and I needed to recharge myself too. And she could've called me any other time too, she was practically free the entire day there, why does she always choose the most odd times to reply or call? I was a little mad at her for not replying back instantly, for choosing to avoid me for the past 2 weeks, but I had to keep my calm, I didn't want to have an argument that might ruin things further.

"What's wrong?" I asked her, trying my best not to sound rude.

"I haven't been feeling well for the past few days, I don't know what's wrong. Maybe it's the water here that doesn't suit me." She let out a forceful laugh.

"Oh, haha." I did the same.

"Anyway, I know I called you at the wrong time, but I couldn't help it. I really missed you babe." She replied.

"Oh." My tone and attitude completely changed towards her.

"I'm sure, you would be thinking I've been ignoring you for the past few days, and if you're angry, you have all the right to be, but I haven't purposely been doing that. I tried to keep myself busy to not think about what happened, no one over here knows about that incident, and I want it to stay that way. Plus, I had a lot of work to do here, with my sister's graduation and other stuff." She continued, "I wanted to call you earlier, but I couldn't, because whenever I would get the time, it would be too late, so I would leave you a message instead. But today, I couldn't keep myself from calling you any longer."

"I've missed you too, my love, more than you know. Everything in my house reminds me of you, your memories haunt me, in a positive way, if that makes any sense. I miss you a lot, kızım." I replied.

"I know, I too, miss you, a lot! I can't wait to come back! I have something important to tell you." She said.

"Speaking of which, when are you returning?"

"Sooner than you know." She replied.