Golden Fire And Black Hair

My uncle resembled my father too well. He took my hand as he leaned to me.

    "My boy...my nephew. How proud I am." His voice was much less boisterous than my father. More cunning and small mattered. He seemed simple. His beard was short and his robes were long. He looked aged beyond his years. He wasn't a dracon.

My father had a hatred that burned red as fire for his own brother. And I could feel that now as we touched. That horrid feeling of a snake.

Amina smiled next to her father. She eyed me like a piece of meat.

I turned away. I looked at the people of the crowd and realized I had much more to do than I had thought. But first things first.

I had spent the rest of the evening among the leaders that I had now surpassed. In my company was Shalm. I pulled him away and I looked at him. He seemed worn and tired.

    "My king." He didn't have any hatred in his voice. I winced because I didn't believe it.

    "Shalm... We have a history that can't be unwritten. But I come now not as a king but as a Dragon that you saved. That your daughter saved. Please accept my apology. I want nothing more than to make amends. I once held hated in my heart but I have been changed. By life and by Aura. She alone cared for me when no one else did. Please, allow me to see her. I find myself thinking of her often."

I felt my heart drop. Realization was like a boulder on my chest. The wrong I had done and how I truly felt. I swallowed.

I wanted to make amends. I wanted those days I could never have again.

I wanted Aura.

He looked at me. I could see the movement in his eyes. A shifting. Forgiveness.

He nodded and told me she was located in the west wing.

I thanked him. He had played a role of king, father, bad guy, and good guy. He had played them all perfectly. I appreciated it. He had argued for my life.

I had never walked so fast especially in such heavy clothing. I hadn't bothered to change. I charged towards the west wing. Everyone stared. Many bowed. But I didn't have the time to stop.

I needed something. I needed her. I stopped at the west doors. There was a maid.

    "Maiden. Please tell me where the Princess Aura is." I smiled kindly at her to show I meant no harm. It may have been my imagination but I believed she swooned.

I chuckled but she nodded

    "My lady is here, she is in the gardens My King." She bowed. I thanked her and rushed off.

This in charge stuff was going to be hard getting used to.

I found her. But she couldn't see me. I was above her at the top of the stairs. They lead down to the garden that lead to her. She was surrounded by flowers of all types. She looked magical as the light reflected onto her.

There she was. A work of art like golden fire she sparkled and black hair that laid around her. I shed a tear. My heart ached. I longed for her.

She started to sing and I swear my heart broke. Her song cut me deeper than any wound could have. She turned.

Our eyes locked and her song ended. At that moment it felt like so did I.