My Dearest Little Dragon

My spies returned. They had found entry. Though men had died they had not died in vain. Now was the time. I stood from my chair proud.

    "We will now tear down a kingdom that was never meant to be!"

Alvaro and I would take the secret route found while the army plays decoy and goes around the other side of the mountains.

A group of 18 would accompany me. My men were tired and hurt, even Alvaria was worn. Muller was sober and lagging. I as king was looked ages older. War was a killer of everything around it from lives to time itself.

I would be 7 month we are stationed in the mountains. But today that would change.

The caverns were tight and soaked with the water leaking from the rivers that flowed above.

This entry lead straight into the heart of the mountains, I had sent my spies to scout it out. It lead to home....my old home...the one where dragons were born.

We came the a large wall that looked as old as the dragon king himself. I ordered 5 men to stay accompanied by Muller to make sure there was no enemy following us. My group climbed, it wasn't big enough for me to be in dragon form.

We wandered deeper into the tunnels and closer to it's center. My fire grew as we got closer. I could smell brimstone and the roars of my people.

They were in Battle and soon I would be as well. It hurt that it had come to this. Had my mother and father known? Is that why I had been soared? For this? To destroy the very thing I loved.

Alvaria placed a hand on my shoulder. She eyes her son ahead. She was scared and so was I. I gave her a smile of reassurance.

The cavern ended and the stairway started. It lead to the door that would enter to the center of the castle. My old childhood room.

I would play in there tunnels as a child or when I wanted to be alone. My heart ached. A part of me wished for a moment my uncle would give up...stop the war... Live in peace. And the other part needed to rip his head from his shoulders.

I placed my hand in the still air of the dark cavern. My party stopped and stood at attention.

    "Thank you, you have come so far for this...for me. I am more than honored to be your king. I know you are weary....so listen here and now. The war is over. Go and leave for home. Take the wounded and the dead."

I smiled at them, my heart filled with joy. But i would no longer put them in danger for a throne.

    "My king! No I will never leave your side," Alvaria stood forward and yelled. Her face as blue as the night sky. The other men rejected it as well. I laughed. They were bickering and yelling among themselves.

    "Quiet..." They stopped abruptly but still looked upset. "I want you all to go now. This is not me asking, it is an order from your king. Go." I put on a stern voice but I know they all saw through it.

They stayed as I started up the stairs. I didn't look back but I know they had shed tears.