When Dragons Roamed

The princess indeed had won. But I could feel the tension in the room. The unanswered question lingering in the sweat and heat of fear generating from everyone.

    "Then what are we to do? Release him? How would we be sure he would not destroy us all out of spite?" Huburus laid the sword at his belt. Waiting for the answer before he decided to kill me or not.

    "He will be my responsibility. As princess of this land, under my fathers ruling, I will care of him and tend to his wounds and scars. I will teach him all he needs to know. And once my time with him is done, and I am sure there is no ill will in his heart, he shall be a king as you are."

I wanted to burst in laughter. Huburus almost had a heart attack. He roared at the princess.

    "A king!? How dare you out that creature in our reign of power? How could a dragon ever be a king?!"

    "His father once was... That is, before you butchered him." The princess stood her ground and fought tooth and nail with Huburus.

King Shalm finally stepped in.

    "My daughter. I understand your heart if full of kindness. I could see it in you the day you were born. As for this..." He sighed. "My dear I could never be sure."

She looked almost crushed.

    "I will allow it. Under one condition." He said. The crowd rustled. The princess perked back up in excitement. Huburus had fallen. "He must remain here until we are sure of his intentions. He will watched and guarded. You will soon be a budded woman. You must now realize that everything comes with a consequence."

She nodded.

    "As king of the North Lands, I pass that this Dracon may live at your hand and die at your hand. But as trade, so shall you, if there is to be any blood shed because of his release, you too shall be executed at the hands of the people. Do you understand Aura?"

I looked at her in disbelief. We had played as children that is all. She had no obligation to me. She needed not to put her life on the line— especially when I planned to waste it.

    "Yes Father, I accept. As fourth princess of the North Lands I thank you my grace. " She lowered herself in gratitude. She looked at me and smiled. I had not seen kindness in the face of humans in decades... But those eyes held something more, I felt as though she could see right through me.