Balls Are Not For Dragons

It felt like earthy magic, those moments we danced, Aura and I. I could smell the burning of the candles, I could feel the vibration of our every move and I could smell everything. She brought out the best of the dragon in me.

She danced with fire in her eyes. Every step as wild as the other. No coordination, every swing and twirl unique. I could guess where she would be but I followed and together we made magic.

There was a loud bang and the magic wore off because all eyes turned towards the doors.

The dancing stopped, music paused, heads turned.

A woman strapped in all gold entered the ballroom. She didn't look like royalty, more like a messenger but there was serving about her. She smelled funny. I couldn't get a good smell over all the people and commotion.

The princess looked worried. I grabbed her hand in mine and I could see her turn away and blush. I smiled.

The kings had risen.

"Who dare interrupt our ball!?" Huburus, who had obviously been drinking slurred and threw his cup at the feet of the throned stage.

The messenger grew closer... She knelt at their base. I inched forward. I must have been mistaken... The girl smelt....

"I am here by order of my master," she spoke....

I couldn't believe it... There was heat from her....

Alvaria stepped forward. The only one who wasn't been drinking.

"You wear a symbol girl... Show me," her faced was scrunched and showed signs of worry.

"I wear the symbol of the golden fire. I come from afar. I have come to retrieve what rightfully belongs to our kingdom," the messenger hissed.

My throat clamped shut. There was only one kingdom that wore the golden fire symbol.

"What kingdom? There is no other kingdoms you foolish girl! For I king Huburus have defeated all of you petty Kingdoms. What use is there of any kingdom but us humans. We already must live among vile fairies and idiot dwarves!"

There was hisses from the crowd, including myself. I could feel my anger boiling. Huburus had single handedly killed off already five kingdoms. Those of witches and worelocks burned and hunted. The giants had been slain off and sold as slaves. The white elfs had been forced to move, but even still they burned them all. The Wild cats of the North had been raided and captured, turned into pets and pelts alike. And last but not least... My people... The Dragons and Dracon... He had tricked us... Telling us we were to come be guests, and after killing my father he rose up and slew the rest of my kind.

Huburus had risen a fire in me. I remember the time I swore to kill him... My heart had not changed. The princess held a tight squeeze on my hand as she saw me get worked up.

I took a breath letting my fire die down. But my anger was still there.

Shalm held a strong glare at his fellow king.

"Huburus. You shan't be proud of such acts. We as kings are to keep the peace, not destroy it. Stand down, you're drunken and unfit." He said waving to guard to come take him.

"How? How could I not? I am king! I am mighty! I have even managed to capture the mighty beasts of the north and south! I have conquered all! So who rises up and dare to announce themselves king?" He laughed slapping away the guards.

The messenger rose. I could smell her anger I was sure now, there was no mistaking it. She smelled of Brimstone.