Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two 

Tammy's POV

I awoke to the smell of bacon and eggs wafting through from the kitchen. I rubbed my eyes to clear the sleep away...and found Two-Bit and Soda staring at me and Dally on the couch.  

"You two are adorable," Two-Bit squealed like a child. "You were like this all night long!" He turned to Soda and put his head on his shoulder, holding him around the waist.  

I decided to ignore him and entered the kitchen, where Pony was whipping up breakfast. I hugged him from behind. He smiled at me. "Hi Tammy." 

"What's cookin', good lookin'?" Two-Bit yelled crazily.  

"How does that guy have so much energy in the mornings?" I wondered aloud.  

"Beats me." 

I grabbed a piece of toast and buttered it. I placed it in my mouth and chewed it down slowly, savoring the light flavor. "Hey, Tammy..." Pony said suddenly.  

"Yeah?" I finished my mouthful. 

"Did you and Dally..." 

I put my hand to my head. "No!" I groaned. "Ponyboy Curtis, where are you getting this from?" 

He shook his head. "Don't worry." 

I narrowed my eyes at him but said nothing.

Monday came, and the ring of the school bell once again terrorized my ears. Buck took me to school in his car. "Where were you this weekend?" he asked, turning a corner.  

"I went to a little gathering at the Curtis' and stayed the night," I said. "What about you?" 

He ran his fingers through his hair. "Not much; had a party Saturday night while Marge was visiting your grandma and hungover yesterday," he flashed a toothy grin.  

"Grandma? In Texas?" 

"Yep, in Texas." 

I frowned. "I called home on Saturday night though." 

"Oh yeah, she was about to leave." 

Groaning, I said, "Why didn't she tell me she was going to visit Grandma?" 

"Calm down, little miss everyone-loves-me. I'm sure your mom told her you were doing fine." 

I sighed and hopped out of the car. "Thanks for the ride, Uncle." 

As soon as I stepped onto the pavement, Cherry and Marcia attacked me.  

"What was it like?" 

I blinked at them. "What was what like?" 

"The hot tub? And the rose petals?" Marcia hissed excitedly.  

"I honestly do not know what you are talking about." 

"Come on!" 

Fortunately, I was saved by the bell and wouldn't need to endure any more plain weird questions. Or so I thought.

As soon as I walked into first period, the people already in class turned around, giggling and staring. What was the world coming to, I wondered. I walked over to my desk and dragged my textbook from my bag, ready for another hour of painfully mundane work. I drew out a pencil when suddenly the girl next to me, Mary, hissed at me.  

"Pssst! Tammy; how was your midnight dip?" 

Huh?  

"What midnight dip?"