Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six 

Tammy's POV

I woke up in my own empty bed. Dallas must have already left, I thought to myself.

Darn, another week of school. I brushed out my hair and wondered vaguely if people were going to trash talk me again today. Not that I minded that much; I had all the friends I needed. Still, Dally had said he had a plan and I couldn't help but wonder what it was.  

I dressed and walked downstairs, my head held high. My father was still snoring on the couch, a long gone cold coffee on the table next to him. Mom was at the dinner table reading the paper, her hair scrunched messily into a bun with loose stands hanging everywhere.  

"Hey sweetie," she greeted me.  

"Hi Mom. Is Buck driving me today?" 

"He's sick. Says he has a sore stomach and he's seeing spots." She sighed and flipped a page. "Take the bus." 

I grabbed an apple from the counter and headed out the door. "Bye Mom."  

"Have a nice day. Love you." 

"Love you too," I called as I swung the door closed, careful not to slam it as it was rather windy. Looking up at the cloudy gray sky, I judged that there was about a seventy percent chance of it raining today. I pulled my jacket tighter around me so it wouldn't feel like it was going to fall off any second; and made my way to the bus stop.  

Fortunately, Ponyboy was already on the bus; and I gladly took his offer of the seat beside him.  

"You look very lovely today," he commented, a small smile creeping at the corners of his lips.  

"Thank you. As do you." 

He turned to face the window, presumably so I couldn't see the effect my compliment had on him.  

"How's things with you and Dally?" he asked, his tone steady.  

"Just fine." I sighed contentedly.  

"Are you in love with him?" 

This took me by shock. "I don't know," I whispered. "I really don't want to be. Falling absolutely head over heels for him - that's the one thing I'm most scared of." I shook my head, chuckling. "It sounds so stupid, but that's what it's like." 

He nodded as if he'd heard something similar before, but said nothing.  

I nudged him. "How about you, Pony? Got any crushes?" 

He bit his bottom lip and looked at me. I raised my eyebrows in confusion. "I take that as a yes," I chimed.  

"It's complicated," he muttered.  

"Why?" 

"Because, she doesn't like me in that way. I know she doesn't. And if I do anything about it, I'm gonna hurt a lot of people." 

He looked genuinely sad as he was saying this, and I patted his back. "Don't worry kid, I'm sure she'll realize it soon." 

He shook his head confidently and furrowed his brow. "No, no, she won't."

At lunch, I headed outside with my food when I bumped into Two-Bit. "Where are you going?" he hissed as he dragged me into the cafeteria.  

"What are you doing, Two-Bit? Everyone in here hates me!" I snapped at him.  

He looked at me impatiently. "Just shut up and sit down; and I'll tell you a secret later." He plonked me down at an empty table just as I saw Marcia and Cherry stand up on their seats at the center table. What the heck was going on?