Chapter 4 - Part 4

"What was that about?" Elsa liked chemistry, but she'd been itching for the lesson to end so she could buttonhole Rapunzel in the corridor. "Are classes optional for prefects, or what?" Rapunzel pushed her hair carelessly behind her ear. "They're not prefects. They're the Few. They do more or less as they like." Shrugging, she marched down the corridor. "Some of them take advantage, some of them don't."  "But who are they?" "The Few - I told you. Sir Pitch's favourites." She flicked her fingers dismissively.

"But they don't seem to give a toss about the teachers." "Well. They are much more important than mere teachers, Elsa." "Oh, come on." "Seriously. The Few practically run the school.  Not officially, of course, but that's how it really is. Don't get on the wrong side of them, is my advice to you. Some of them are perfectly nice, but others . . ." "That's crazy. Who gets to be, er, Few?"
Rapunzel shrugged, snorting. "The best and cleverest and most beautiful. Hah!" Elsa nudged her grinning. "So why aren't you one of them?"

Rapunzel laughed. "You're too kind, Elsa. You want me to tell the truth? They have not asked me! There." "That's kind of hard to believe," said Elsa. "Maybe the mean ones are jealous. Blackballing you or something. You're much better looking than Elena, and I bet you're smarter too." "Oh, sure. And she knows it." Rapunzel grinned at her. "Well, they have an initiation this term, that's what I hear. That means someone else joins the Few." "Then it has to be you!" "They can ask, if they like. Or not. As they wish." Rapunzel tilted her chin haughtily. "Tom Thumb is - what do you say? - gagging for it. But it's not as if I care one way or the other." Yeah, thought Elsa dryly. Sure. "What about Caroline? Is she Head Girl?" "Boss Cat, more like." Rapunzel wrinkled her nose. "Where's she from?" "Germany," said Rapunzel carelessly.

Oh, right. So Elsa's movie-star casting had been spot on. Not that she could imagine Caroline even Vanting to Be Alone, though. Who else was German? Rammstein? Elsa wrinkled her nose. Not such a good comparison. "I can see her in a silver catsuit, though," she muttered under her breath.