Chapter 11 - Part 2

"Ah. Of course. I expect life didn't always go smoothly there." He looked at her kindly. Just as she decided she really liked him, Madame Bennett butted in again. "Tell me about this, Elizabeth. You have had a difficult life, yes?" Taken aback, Elsa paused for a sip of tea. It had a perfumed taste that she didn't much like, but it gave her a moment to think. "I . . . suppose so. I dunno. I did have a few foster families. Not many, though." She grinned suddenly. "Bit disruptive, I suppose. Hard to handle. I always ended up back at Miss Peregrine's." Nobody wants you, you little waste of space. Nobody! "Hard to handle!" Interrupting Claire's voice in her head, Madame Bennett gave a throaty laugh. "That simply means you have spirit, my dear. And to do so well in your studies despite all the difficulties - well, how marvellous. We are lucky to have Elizabeth here. Are we not, Sir Pitch?"

"Indeed." He shifted his position between Elsa and Madame Bennett, slightly blocking the old woman's intent gaze. Elsa blushed furiously, uncomfortable with the torrent of compliments. Still, she appreciated Madame Bennett being so nice to her. Sir Pitch didn't have to look so disapproving. She put down her cup quickly. "I'd better go." Sir Pitch checked his wristwatch. "Yes. Perhaps you had better." They were both watching her, only one of them smiling, as the door swung softly closed once more.

"Elsa! Elsa, look at this!" Rapunzel's miserable mood for the last forty-eight hours had evaporated. Damn, thought Elsa as she hesitated in the doorway of their room. "See what he has given me!" Flaming Nora. She had no idea that orchids grew so big. Was it genetically modified or what? Pure white and very beautiful, it must have cost Flynn a lot more than he could afford. This might have been one of Elsa's less-smart ideas; after all, she didn't want Rapunzel getting her hopes up. At least Flynn had been true to his word, though. "You know, there's something about orchids I don't like." Elsa wrinkled her nose. "Those black ones in the courtyard by the statue? They're sinister." "Oh, those are Sir Pitch's favourites. The signature flower of the Academy, but no one else had ever seen or heard of them. I've asked. Even Mama does not know them, and she is something of an expert." "Really?" Elsa suddenly felt uneasy.

"Ah, but this orchid!" Rapunzel laughed, not in the least put out, and ran her finger across one pristine petal. "Pure, but sexy. And so romantic!" Elsa had to smile. "OK. It's gorgeous." "Just like Flynn, hm?" Rapunzel planted a delicate kiss on the flower. "And there is something for you too, Elsa." "From Flynn?" asked Elsa, surprised. Rapunzel shrugged, still smiling idiotically at her orchid. "I don't know. I don't think so, it is not his handwriting. Here." She tossed an envelope to Elsa, who snatched it from the air. She recognized that rich, parchment-like paper. Academy paper. Oh, hell; had Sir Pitch found her tea-time manners lacking? Was this her kiss-off letter? With on trembling finger she slit the flap and pulled out an embossed card. Elsa had to read it over three times before she could bring herself to meet Rapunzel's curious gaze. "Rapunzel." She bit her kip. "What? What is it?" "I so hope you really don't care about this. I don't want to spoil your evening." Swallowing, Elsa turned the card towards her friend, and watched Rapunzel's smile die as she read:

The Black Academy

From the Office of the FewYour name has been submitted to the Congress
as a potential candidate for membership of the Few.
Please attend at the Common Room of the Few
on November 12th, at 7.00 pm.
Punctuality is expected.

A/N How did you like this chapter? Just wanted to let you guys know that there are only 9 chapters left not including the epilogue in this book. I don't know if I'm going to make a sequel to this book.