Chapter 11 - Part 1

There was too much on Elsa's mind. Her thoughts and suspicions were chaotic, and she knew no more about Victor Hugo than she had an hour ago. At this rate she'd be expelled for incompetence before she discovered a thing. Students pushed past her in the corridor, rushing to their next class, but Elsa found she had to walk slowly, thinking furiously, examining her options. Tyler wouldn't have mentioned the possibility of her becoming one of the Few if he didn't mean it seriously; she was sure of that. Thinking of Rapunzel, her conscience twanged painfully. If Elsa was invited to join the Few, would her roommate be terribly hurt? Should she confide in Rapunzel, or leave her in blissful, safe ignorance? Distracted, Elsa barely knew where she was, let alone which class she was heading for. 

Which was why she nearly jumped out of her skin when the door opened at her side. She came to a dead halt, heart thumping. "Elsa! I hoped I'd catch you." The mellifluous voice was instantly recognizable, as were the height and presence. Just as well, since she was so close she was only gaping only at his blazer buttons and his chic silk tie. "Hello, Sir Pitch." She blinked up into the starkly handsome face. "Lost again?" he asked mischievously. She shook her head. Beyond him she glimpsed his office. Black curtains were swagged back with gold cords. A vast mahogany desk took up most of one wall, beyond expanse of thick carpet. In the middle of the room was a smaller table, Sèvres porcelain and a silver teapot perched on top; two pale-yellow red armchairs huddled close around it like old friends. In one of them sat a recognizable figure who laughed lightly and clapped her frail hands together. "Elizabeth, my dear."  Bonnie Bennett didn't try to stand.

"How lovely! Are you enjoying the Academy?" "Great. Fine. I mean, I love it." Elsa smiled awkwardly back. "Hello,Madame Bennett." "Bonnie." Wagging a finger, Madame Bennett gave her a playful frown. Sir Pitch looked from one to the other. "You've met?" "On Elizabeth's very first day. She was kind enough to help me up the steps." He gave the woman an amused smile. "Did she, indeed? And speaking of your first day, Elsa, when we finally met this week I was reminded of how long you had been at the Academy before I introduced myself. Allow me to make up for my bad manners. Do join us for tea."  Nervously she checked her watch. "But I've got -" "A class with Mr Sandy? Don't worry about that. Marat!" Elsa almost leaped sideways. The squat porter had appeared silently at her back. He wore a baleful expression on his face. "Marat. Please inform Sandman that Miss Song is excused his class for today. I wish to speak to her. Apologize to him on my behalf.

Marat nodded once, silent, and turned away. "Come in, Elsa." Sir Pitch closed the heavy door and pulled up another chair opposite Madame Bennett, who winked at Elsa. "What a lovely treat for me. Young company. Are you making the most of the school's opportunities as I recommended, Elizabeth?" "Yes. I mean . . ." With a pang of gilt, Elsa remembered the last wasted hour. "I'm trying." She shrugged ruefully. "And succeeding very well. Elsa is extremely able in a wide range of subjects." Sir Pitch gave an approving glance. "I think I can safely say she is one of the most deserving scholarship students we have ever had." "How marvellous!"Madame Bennett sat a little straighter. "Intelligent, then?" "Yes, indeed," said Sir Pitch, pouring tea steadily into a delicate cup for Elsa. "And very pretty, too! What striking looks you have, my dear. I have never seen eyes of such an unusual colour. Don't you think so, Sir Pitch?

"I hadn't thought about it." He smiled at Elsa, almost complicity. "I dare say you're right. Elsa, what I really wanted to talk to you about was the other night. It worries me that you don't sleep well. And I hope what you saw didn't . . . upset you. I meant what I said about coming to me with any problems." "Oh, don't worry," she said cheerfully, pleased they'd finished with the subject of her looks. "I never did sleep well. And there were a lot more problems at Miss Peregrine's."