Chapter 21 - Part 3

What's stupid about justice, my dear? You could have it, you know that. "What?" You know what's possible. You know what you want. You promised me you'd take what you want. You promised me. Elsa recoiled, gripping the windowsill, staring fixedly into the night. You let her get away with it, Elizabeth. Didn't you? "What was I supposed to do? What could I do? Nothing!" Because you were scared. That's all. Let me in, Elizabeth! Let me in and you'll never be scared again. Of anyone! Together, you and me! Let me in! Silence, a long dragging silence.

She was imagining the voice, Elsa decided. She was sleepwalking. That was all. Hallucinating.  One day we'll find her, Elizabeth. She put her hands over her ears. "Go away!" She'll be there for us. Easy meat. LET ME IN! "NO!" "Elsa?" Rapunzel's sleepy grunt made her jerk away from the window and turn. "Elsa, what's wrong? Who are you talking to?" "Nobody!" Elsa's voice shook. "Sorry, Rapunzel, I was dreaming." "Beside the window?" Rapunzel sat up, skeptical. "I was, um . . . getting some air. I started to doze off. Go back to sleep." "Are you OK?" "Fine." Elsa turned back to the night sky, and muttered, "We're fine." She waited until Rapunzel's breathing deepened and a snore rattled out, then she tiptoed to the bathroom.

Tugging down her pyjama top, she peered at her shoulder blade in the mirror. The mark wasn't as clear and defined as Tyler's, and it didn't burn fiercely like Elena's had done as she died. It looked a little blurred, and there seemed to be lines missing, places where the pattern was broken. But it was there. She wouldn't sleep now. Trying her hardest to be quiet, she eased open the wardrobe and pulled out the dress Rapunzel had insisted on buying for her. For Heaven's sake, Elsa! Shut up and call it and early Christmas present! 

Versace: the one she couldn't pronounce. Elsa grinned. The fabric rustled as she laid it on her bed, and she paused, but Rapunzel didn't stir. She never did, thought Elsa fondly. Elsa hadn't had a single unbroken night's sleep since the events at the Arc two weeks earlier, but none of her night-time pacings had disturbed her roommate. The sign of an easy conscience, of course. 

Elsa stroked the beautifully cut dress. It felt cool and rich and smooth: everything she wasn't. She couldn't think how she was going to carry it off, but maybe it was fabulous enough to eclipse her lack of confidence. Was the dress lightish-blue or darkish-blue? She couldn't decide. Rapunzel said it matched her eyes. Shame she didn't have a partner for the ball. She couldn't even use Tyler, she thought guiltily.