Chapter 16 - Part 5

"Spanner," said Elsa absently. "Yes, yes. You'd think I'd ruin it for you because I like my school? I liked Jess a lot more. If somebody killed her I want him - her - them - caught. If you think something is sinister here, Flynn, if you think somebody at the Academy was responsible for what happened to Jess, then I'm not staying out of it." Bemused, he said, "Hang on a minute -" "Shut up," she told him crisply. "Stupid American. Don't be so proud. Don't be such an isolationist. We are going to help you. Yes, Elsa?" "Oh, yeah." Elsa grinned at Flynn. "She's right, know that?"

"I am always right." Rapunzel sniffed. Elsa dug her in the ribs. "Three of us can get where one can't. That's obvious, uh-huh? We can do three times more. And after what I saw tonight?" She shivered. "I think you need all the help you can get, Flynn." "And I am a little princess with a rich papa and good contacts." Flynn chewed manically on the knuckle. "Could be dangerous." "Danger," Rapunzel tossed her hair, "is my middle name." "OK. OK!" Flynn gave a bark of laughter. "Know what? I'm glad I ran into you tonight, Elsa."

"Not half as glad as I am," she said dryly. "Flynn, who do you think killed Jess?" "I don't know. I can't prove it, not for certain. But Jack knew where she was that night." Elsa's stomach contracted. "He did? Are you sure?" "Yes. And Jack and Jess were . . . Well, they had a thing together. Maybe they had a fight, maybe there was someone else and he got jealous, I dunno. It's the likeliest explanation, isn't it? I've tried to ask him to explain, but he won't talk about it. Won't even discuss the Few. He's hiding something. Maybe he's just sick."

Elsa felt sick herself. "But what d'you mean, 'He knew where she was'?" Flynn's face set cold. "Because he was the one who found her. Jack found Jess's body."