Chapter 9 - Part 3

"Really?" said Elsa, feigning surprise. So Sir Pitch hadn't quite finished with the wretched girl last night? She couldn't help grinning, though. "Poor Elena." "Oh dear. Sir Pitch does get annoyed sometimes, even with the Few." Rapunzel managed to sound concerned. "And is Caroline upset that you are sitting with us?" "Nah. Why would she be upset? I just wanted to talk to you . . . guys." Elsa heard the slight hesitation, and realised Flynn was entirely focused on her. She gave him a frown. Not only did the boy have a sinister sleepwalking habit, he had about as much tact as Caroline. Deliberately she smiled at Rapunzel, not Flynn. "Yeah? What about?" "Actually, Elsa, I wondered if I could have a . . . word?"

Elsa wondered if her foot would reach far enough to give him a good hard kick. "With us? Course you can. What do you want?" "Well, I . . ." He fidgeted, half-turning towards Rapunzel. Elsa saw the flush creep up Rapunzel's throat and darken her face. Abruptly, the Italian stood p, her linen napkin crushed in her fist. "I'm sorry. I am being obtuse. Of course, it is something private." She bent down to kiss Elsa's cheeks and snatched up her shopping bags. "You know, I am not so hungry. I'll see back at the school, Elsa." Managing one over-bright smile, she turned and walked out of the restaurant. Elsa couldn't miss Caroline's satisfied smirk. 

"That was really rude," she hissed, standing  up sharply. "I'm going with her. You've got anything to ask me, you can ask in front of my friend." His fingers gripped her wrist. "Elsa, please. Please."  "Get stuffed." "I'm sorry, OK?" His voice was a desperate whisper. "Listen, I'll make it up her. I swear I'll apologise. Please stay, Elsa. This is important. Really important." She scowled at him. "You'll make it up to her?

"Yeah. Um, yeah, I promise."