Chapter 9 - Part 2

"Did it just get colder  in here?" She nudged Rapunzel and giggled, but the laughter died on her lips as the restaurant door opened again. "Oh, hell. It's him. No! Rapunzel, don't look!" Too late. Rapunzel's whole face brightened as she waved. "Flynn. Hey, Flynn!" "Can you act a bit cooler yourself?" muttered Elsa. "Hard to get, that kind of thing?" "But I'm not," Rapunzel said mischievously. "Not where he is concerned. Hey, Flynn!" But Flynn Parker, thought Elsa, had no chance of getting to their table. Poor Rapunzel. Caroline had turned, laying a delicate hand on Flynn's arm as he passed, smiling up beguilingly. "Flynn, darling." Elsa could read Caroline's lips, though she couldn't hear her over the lunchtime murmur of voices. The German girl cast a sly sneer at Rapunzel as Flynn came to a besotted halt. Leaning down, he kissed her proffered cheek and said something. Caroline laughed and clasped his fingers, and Elsa waited with a sinking heart for Flynn to sit down and wrap an arm round her. 

He didn't. Elsa frowned, surprised. Smiling, Flynn straightened, and released the German girl's hand. Caroline's smirk evaporated as Flynn turned away, towards Elsa and Rapunzel. Elsa put her hand over her mouth to hide her grin of delight. That expression on Caroline's face? She wanted to cast it in marble for posterity, and stick it on a bust in the entrance hall. "Hi, Rapunzel. Hi, Elsa." Flynn yanked out a chair and sat down. "Rapunzel, you haven't been shopping again? Did Daddy mortgage the ranch?" Rapunzel punched his arm. "You wound me, Flynn. Always, you wound me." "Speaking as the Kettle, Miss Pot, I find that remark pretty ironic. Whatcha bought?" Cheeks pink with pleasure. Rapunzel lifted her bag and opened it for his inspection. As he examined the contents, Elsa looked to the side again. 

"Does you back hurt?" she said dryly. "Cos it's full of daggers." "Huh?" Flynn turned, but Caroline had swiftly averted her venomous stare. He scratched his neck, blushing. "Oh. Caroline. She's OK." His hawkish features melted into a helpless smile. "Well. Incredible, actually." "Incredible," muttered Elsa. "You got that right. I wonder where her pal Elena is." "In detention," said Flynn, winking at Elsa with wicked satisfaction. "She was called to Sir Pitch's office this morning. Got an absolute rocket, apparently."