Epilogue - Part 3

of course you like him! So do I, my dear! "Bonnie!" Elsa shoved Jack's chest, propelling herself away. "Go to hell!" "Elizabeth?" "It's OK. It's OK." She pulled him back for another kiss. "It's just, there were three of us there, for a moment." They laughed, then Jack went quiet. "You're coming back?" He gave her a nervous smile. "Next year? You are coming back to the Academy, Elizabeth?" "Course." Her quick smile faded. "Flynn too, I think." Jack grimaced. "He wants to destroy me." "Yes. He thinks he's got reason." "What about you?" "No." Elsa shook her head firmly. "I believe you. That's why I've got to come back. To stop him whupping your ass." She returned Jack's grin, then shrugged. 

"And of course, there's someone I have to deal with. Hear that, Bonnie?" Silence. Jack curled his fingers round hers and squeezed hard. "I wish you well, Elizabeth. I wish I could fight mine. But we're one now. Joined forever. How can you fight yourself?" Elsa separated his fingers, thoughtfully, then brought his knuckles to her moth and kissed them. Grinning, she unpinned her corsage, uncurled his hand and pressed the white orchid into his palm. "Nothing ventured, gorgeous." This time he didn't smile back. "You didn't know Bonnie very well, did you?" "Huh! I'm getting to know her better." Elsa gave him another impudent wink. "She likes you." "That's what I'm afraid of." He looked so sad and serious, Elsa grew instantly sober too. "I don't want to know what she's like. Or what she's done or been." She made a face. "Do I?"

"Well not tonight, anyway." He touched her lower lip with his thumb. "I tell you what . . ." "What?" Up at the school's splendid entrance, light and music spilled over the top step. Jack pinned the white orchid back on to Elsa's bodice, then took her hand. "I like it when you tell Bonnie to go to hell. Tell her again for a couple of hours." "Just for a couple of hours?" "Uh-huh. It's all you get, but it's long enough for a dance." Cheerfully, he pulled her to her feet. "You know this one?" "Nah," said Elsa. "But I'll learn. That's why I came to a posh school, you know."

Just for tonight, she thought, burying her face in his shirt to inhale his oh-so-human smell. This was fine, this was good. Just for tonight they were a boy and a girl, and they were nothing and nobody else, and they were dancing under a starry Parisian sky. Devil take tomorrow. Though she hoped it wouldn't get the chance.