Chapter 16 - Part 3

Caroline's teeth were gritted, but she looked from one to the other, hesitant. Human frailty obviously repelled her. "If I find," she hissed, "if I ever find you saw something tonight you should not have seen, Elsa? Then it will be very bad for you. Do you understand?" "Uh-huh? Why would there be anything I shouldn't see?" Elsa remembered to wince at another imaginary stomach cramp. "I think you know, little prowler." Caroline's lip twisted. "You are like that pathetic, simpering fool Flynn Parker, always snooping where you shouldn't. Be careful what you look for scholarship girl. One day you might find it." She gave Elsa an unpleasant smirk. "And then you will be sorry. So terribly sorry, and too late."

"And I'm terribly sorry now, but you're going to have to excuse me." Elsa put one hand on the bathroom door handle, the other over her mouth. "Don't make the mistake of thinking me a fool," breathed Caroline. She backed slowly away from Elsa. "If you had anything to do with what happened to Elena tonight, I promise you will pay. Do you understand me?" "No." Elsa pushed the bathroom door an inch open, holding the icy gaze unflinchingly. "What's happened to Elena?" Disgusted, Caroline stalked out and slammed the door. Elsa rested her forehead against the bathroom door frame.

They should be having a giggle now. They should be feeling triumphant at getting shot of Caroline. Remembering Elena's fate, Elsa didn't feel like laughing anymore, and obviously neither did Rapunzel. Miserable, Elsa watched her friend start to cry. "Rapunzel." Elsa clasped her cold fingers. "I'm so sorry. I swear to God it was an accident. I'm so sorry it happened, but she was attacking me, and if Flynn hadn't-"

"I don't feel sorry for Elena." Through her shocked tears, Rapunzel's tone was outraged. "She tried to kill you! Oh, Elsa, what if she had?" "She didn't." Flynn had emerged from the darkness of the bathroom. He propped himself against the door, still trembling, staring at the place where Caroline had stood. "Thanks to you," pointed out Elsa.

"Sure. Maybe not a completely simpering fool, huh?" He folded his arms. "Oh, Flynn." Rapunzel hugged herself, digging her fingers into her arms as if to avoid hugging himself instead. "I'm sorry. Truly I am. I'm so sorry you heard that."And she really was, thought Elsa, amused and touched. The sensitive southern flower was worried about his feelings. Rapunzel was well smitten. "'S OK." Flynn shrugged. "I guess I've been kind of starry-eyed, haven't I?"

"That is because you are kind," insisted Rapunzel fiercely. "You are not like her! You would not dream a person could be cruel and unpleasant and . . . scheming. It is now how your mind works!"

"Nice of you to say so, Rapunzel." He gave her a weak smile and shrugged. "But I think maybe I'm just dumb. Y'know? My brains being down in my –" "No!" exclaimed Rapunzel, mortified. "Do not say such a thing about yourself!" Whoa! That was rich! "Um," said Elsa dryly. "If you two cold break it up for a minute?" "OK." Flynn grinned. Elsa took a breath. "What are you up to, Flynn Parker?"