Chapter 6 - Part 1

"There you are, Elsa! How was the date? Come on, tell me all about it!" Rapunzel was in the second-floor library, perched with Flynn on a leather sofa the colour of polished conkers. Elsa wished she hadn't interrupted. Rapunzel had looked more animated than ever, touching Flynn's arm, making him laugh, laughing back when he said something dark and droll. If she'd been in Rapunzel's position, Elsa would have resented anyone butting in, but the Italian clapped her hands and beckoned her over. Flynn glanced her way too.

"Come on! What happened? Where did you go? What was Tyler like?" Rapunzel patted the seat between her and Flynn, but Elsa chose the arm instead. She didn't want to come between them and, anyway, she felt downright uncomfortable around Flynn. The way he looked at her was unnerving. Did he know she'd trailed him the other night? Had he spotted her after all? She stared at the bookshelves that reached almost to the elaborate plasterwork of the high ceiling.

The only section of the wall that wasn't covered in book spines was the massive gilt-framed mirror above the baroque fireplace. This room was magnificent as the rest of the mansion, but who would ever find time to read all these books? "Well, come on, give! Did Tyler kiss you, Elsa?" "Course he didn't kiss me!" Elsa shrugged, blushing. "He was nice. Interesting. I like him.""M-hm." Rapunzel dug her in the ribs. "Where did you go?" "Ow! First the Pompidou Centre. Then this gorgeous museum in the rue de Sévigné that used to be a private house. And finally his perfect little café," she mimicked. "On the rue de la Bastille."

"Didn't they lock up aristocrats there?" muttered Flynn. "Best place for him. Watch that guy, Elsa." Elsa gave him a surprised look, but cheerfully Rapunzel leaned across and slapped his knee. "Flynn, don't be such a grouch. He took her to the musée Carnavalet! It's so romantic. So stunning." She sighed. "And so is Tyler."