Chapter 14 - Part 3

"I am sure I will be chosen this time," Rapunzel assured her, though her wide smile belied that. "I am sure they will like you best. Just as I do! But soon, Elsa soon, I swear it will be two of us!" "Course it will." Elsa stood up and gave her the tightest hug she could manage without creasing the stunning dress. "Rapunzel?" "What?" Rapunzel hesitated at the open door, itching to go. "I hope you get it," Elsa lied. "That's all. Good luck."

*

It wasn't a spur of the moment thing. She'd been planning this ever since Rapunzel had received her invitation. She'd thought of everything, weighed all the risks, and she'd known all along she couldn't pass up such a golden opportunity. Elena would be occupied with the interview. The French girl didn't like Rapunzel she'd want to be there - to scorn her, ask hard questions, make her look small. Elsa's own interview had lasted ages, even after half the Few had left.

Of course, it would have taken a whole lot longer if the jumped-up Jack hadn't interrupted. He'd have no objections to a rich girl like Rapunzel, though, so tonight that wouldn't be a problem. All the Few would be together, closeted with Rapunzel in their oppressive common room. There was never going to be a better chance to snoop. There was still the question of the Few's roommates, of course: roommates who might be awake, alert and in their rooms. All but one. One of the Few had a chronically unwell roommate who might easily be quarantined in the sickroom. She'd been over all this in her head a hundred times. It would be fine.

Stupid to have doubts now, then. Elsa shook her head and secured her unruly hair with a scrunchie, then bent to the laces of her trainers. Her heart was beating so hard she could hardly breathe. What was she so afraid of? OK, what she was going to do was wrong.  It was dishonest, and dishonorable too. It could get her expelled. But it was hardly going to get her killed.

Get a grip, Elsa! Which reminded her . . .

Rapunzel spent much on her hair accessories as she did on everything else, thought Elsa approvingly. The hair grips in her little veneer chest were expensive, strong but flexible, decorated with small gold lilies. As she slipped out of their room and through the quiet corridors, Elsa only hoped she wasn't going to ruin the one she'd chosen - but she'd got through locks with flimsy wire grips, screwdrivers and credit cards, and never snapped any.

She kept her expression vague and a little thick, and no one she passed took the slightest notice of her. At least she knew for certain that the Few would be occupied with Rapunzel's interview, and she could bluff her way past ordinary students and teachers any old day. The one person she was really afraid of running into was  Marat the porter, but there was no sign of him.