Chapter-23

"You are in deep shit, bro," Harshad commented with a sympathetic face as he passed by Manik. Manik once again rolled his eyes as if that could help get rid of jim-jams. His night apparently went usual with normal sets of dreams which featured Nandini as mandatory. He was used to that but then jerk friends like Harshad have to be so damn nosy that they won't stop nudging with stupid things. It was his nth comment since morning. He thought Manik was in some sort of shit called love, well Manik would have laughed on the joke but it wasn't even funny. 

He joined the detention line of Lieutenant Kalra wearing the vest and shorts as asked. Nandini seriously had thought she had bailed him out of claws of Kalra but little did she know, Kalra never learns. Manik was ready for regressive drill as first thing in morning. 

Kalra was already mapping the preys for appropriate punishments. Manik wasn't even afraid anymore. He stood straight looking towards famous nowhere waiting for some nasty words and a following punishment. 

"I wonder where's your little girlfriend?" Kalra remarked spitefully as he reached Manik after insulting a few boys. 

"Sir," Manik said stiffening a bit more, "She isn't my girlfriend."

"Now you would tell me who she is?" Kalra dared impudently. 

"I know it all. That wildcat was your idea of taking revenge on me," He added accusingly. Manik wanted to laugh on amount of importance Lt had given himself but he couldn't and kill that Kalra for calling his wildcat a wildcat. He was no one. 

"There's nothing like that, SIR," Manik answered mechanically. 

"Do you think I am a fool, Malhotra?" Kalra was hell bent for testing Manik's patience. 

"NO SIR," Manik answered loudly. 

"Now you would tell me if I am a fool or not," Kalra barked swaying his club. 

Manik didn't know whether to get suspended after hitting the absurd man in front of him or just simply dig a hole and bury himself. 

Before he could decide what to say for getting a punishment, Kalra declared, "50 rounds of military ground with your rifle up." Manik sighed and ran towards locker room. It was much easier than tolerating the torturous presence of Lt. 

____________________

Nandini climbed down the stairs sliding the stair-post. Wearing her favorite gum-boots and sweater, she was ready to go to work. Joining Daadu on dining table, she poured milk in her cornflakes bowl. It had to be one of happy mornings. 

"Nandini," She heard her mother calling and that meant trouble in morning. 

"Yes," Nandini answered refusing to leave her place. 

"You are coming with me to a charity event. Your father wants you to accompany me," Her mother informed. 

"I can't," Nandini answered simply eating her meal. 

"You aren't asked," Her mother told a bit loud and that halted the activity on dining table. 

"You are coming and that's all about it," Her mother added. Daadu's forehead furrowed foreseeing the upcoming drama. 

"Well," Nandini got up, her tone clearly warning about the bitter on her tongue.

"I have a job to go. I am telling you too if you have forgotten," She informed and picked up her bag. 

As she walked towards door, she heard her mother banging the spoon on table harshly. 

"We are done with that job. Neither your father nor I want you to continue that silly volunteer job," Her mother yelled.