Chapter-44

Buzz in the house died slow as other boys looked at Harshad. Manik palmed his eyes totally knowing what was coming next. 

Drama.

Well, nothing could go undramatic in his life. He had started to believe how he was a drama-magnet. What would have it taken? He asked God sighing deep. What would have it taken to spare him a night where he could just be with her without one or other thing going wrong. 

"What?" Nandini mumbled and Manik came back from whatever land he was in. 

He looked at Nandini who was busy louring at audience of an upcoming mini-fight which was taking years to start already. 

Harshad walked to Manik and Manik looked everywhere but at him. Apparently ceiling work was authentic and lights weren't bad either. Manik could list down all the details if that could bail him out of this very awkward situation. 

"Manik," Harshad called through his teeth as he stood an arm away. 

"Harshad," Manik replied with an extra broad smile. 

They had Nandini's attention now as they didn't say a word but kept talking through eyes. She sipped the drink in her hand and tried to understand what was it about. 

"You both can talk, you know," She suggested picking up the corn fritters. 

Harshad finally looked at her and smiled sweetly. 

"There's nothing left to talk," He replied while brushing something invisible off Manik's blazer. 

"I mean party is hot, my friend here has brought a lovely date and I didn't even know," Harshad was going hysterical with all the dramatized expressions. 

"I was about to tell you," Manik whispered in his ear as Harshad wrapped his arm around Manik's neck. 

"I am sure, moron," Harshad replied back with a whisper. 

Nandini noticed the duo carefully and shook her head. There was a whisper fight going on and her cadet was for sure going resolute about it. 

"I can't believe you didn't find it important to tell me...ME...about this," Harshad whisper-yelled and Manik sighed. 

"I was about to," He replied as a matter of fact. 

"No, why would you? I am not needed anymore," Harshad yelled again and Manik pursed his lips in annoyance. 

"Stop overreacting, Harshad," Manik said while pretending to stretch his neck. He was certain how well they were masking their fight. That was another thing how everyone knew what was going around. 

Nandini put the glass down with a thud and they both stopped fighting. Harshad straightened himself while Manik tried to look less annoyed. 

"Tell me when you guys are done," She said and walked away. She chuckled a bit as she made her way through crowd. 

"You couldn't wait?" Manik shouted finally. 

"Exactly how you couldn't tell," Harshad taunted and geared up for a verbal spat. 

"I was the one who was cheerleader to you and you forgot to tell me. When you were gonna tell, after proposing her?" Harshad asked aloud and their friends cheered. 

"Can you please not announce it?" Manik yelled back and Harshad chuckled. 

"Seriously?" Harshad asked. 

Nandini could hear cheers and hoots coming from that corner. She tilted her upper body to peep in and saw Manik in middle of some heated argument. He looked funny. She smiled and enjoyed the silent brawl. She hadn't seen Manik this desperate to prove a point as he argued as if his life depended upon it.