Chapter-32

Manik watched Major Thakur having a conversation with Mr Murthy while he walked across the lush green ground which seemed to have no end. It had been minutes since they had reached there to talk about purchase of ponies and Manik was restless than ever. Mr Murthy hadn’t spared a glance to him since the moment he had walked there. It was like he was ignoring him. Manik knew what could be the reason. He still remembered Mr Murthy’s bitter remark on him in Colonel’s office. He looked at leaping horses that were having time of their lives. He somehow felt sad. He wasn’t one of them anymore. He frowned and before that free spirit could kick in harder, he heard Major Thakur calling him. He turned around to see him approaching.
“Pretty view, huh?” He asked smiling.
“Listen I would leave. You take the delivery,” He said handing Manik some papers.
“Mr Murthy said this work doesn’t need my presence,” He concluded and walked away patting Manik’s back.
Manik stood there like jammed line trying to grasp all the rush of information. He shook his head thinking how that day couldn’t get worse.
_________
“So you are asking me where he is?” asked Lieutenant Kalra raising his brow.
Nandini folded her arms across her chest and stared into his eyes.
“Do you think I am enquiry counter?” He asked a bit louder.
“Who made you in charge?” Nandini asked baffled.
“You are twisting a simple question into a felony from past 10 minutes,” She said a bit irritated.
Lt chuckled as if Nandini had given him stealthy reason to laugh. She had been trying to know where Manik was for last 30 minutes but all she had got were some very awkward apologies for not being able to help. It was like it was new rule in academy that no one would answer about Manik. She knew the reason now. Lieutenant Kalra was in charge in absence of Colonel Singh and He disliked Manik for no reason.
“It’s a felony from here on to seek details of cadets,” He said leaning on desk trying to intimidate Nandini.
“I am afraid I cannot help you, lady,” He said artificially.
Nandini could feel her blood pressure touching the lid already. She had enough with these fools.

“I am sure I can use your phone,” She said taking the receiver in hand. Lt leaned back in his giant chair watching her dial a number.

“I am sure you would love to talk to Brigadier Murthy,” She informed finally using her invincible weapon. She couldn’t be mess up with.
Colors from Lt’s face faded away in no time as he heard Brigadier’s name.

“What are you talking about?” He asked lowly.

“You look pale, Lt,” She spoke faking a concern.

“Put that receiver down, you spoilt brat,” He roared trying to scare Nandini.

“I am afraid I cannot help you, Sir,” She threw back his words on him only to leave him hissing in frustration.

“Alright, stop with it already,” He said in defeating voice. He couldn’t invite Brigadier Murthy there. Though he was retired but Lt Still dreaded the presence of that old man. He gulped in anxiety.

“He has gone to your stable,” He informed and Nandini furrowed her brows.

“Be audible, cunning man,” She said putting the receiver back.

“He has gone to Mr Murthy’s stable to take delivery of ponies,” Lt said aloud. Nandini shook her head in dismay thinking about the situation her kitten was in. She stormed out of room leaving a frustrated Lieutenant behind.

“Screw these Murthy’s,” He yelled to cop up with little blackmail he had to go through.
_______________
Manik walked another pony to truck and patted him as he cooperated well. Till now, he hadn’t seen Mr Murthy around. He was constantly not trying to feel good about it so that he doesn’t jinx it. Men in stable helped him settling the mighty creatures safely in comfy trailer while Manik kept praying for not to have an encounter with Nandini’s father.
“Sir, Mr Murthy wants to see you,” One of staff informed and Manik pursed his lips. He knew it he shouldn’t have prayed. He was bad with prayers and God apparently hated him.
He walked nervously to Mr Murthy’s office which was across the arena.
“Aahh, come in,” Mr Murthy said seeing Manik standing at door.