Nightcall

For the first time after all these years Rebekah and Cassie had time to catch up.

Back in the safe house Rebekah was busy going back to New Orleans and Cassie was just so fascinated by little Hope.

Now they had to wait for their mother's next move. Waiting for the devil to come is terrible.

Both the women had lost contact after the incident a hundred years ago. But they did not spoke about that. They talked about what had happened in the last years, about babies and of course men.

„So you have a crush on Marcel? Really, Bekah?"

„Shut up. It's a long story. You were a toddler when that crush, as you call it, started."

They both laughed. Sometimes it even struck a vampires mind how much time had passed.

„We should talk about you and my brother. That's less boring."

Cassie shyly looked down, she felt her cheeks burning. She tried to cover it by giving the other blonde a wicked smile.

„Do you really want the details?"

Rebekah grimaced in disgust by imagining her big brother having sex with the women next to her.

„Ewww, Cassie. That wasn't nice. No, honestly. How is it going on with you two?"

„I think we found together again. You can't imagine how much I missed him. But..."

Cassie sighted.

„There's a but?"

„I don't know. It's just all that drama again. I will always be an easy target for your parents. Kol is angry with me and Niklaus will hate me forever."

„And you think Elijah is affected by the opinion of his brothers? I know, I know, he threw you out because he listened to Nik but that has changed. He isn't the selfless knight anymore. Well, he is, but he learned from his mistakes and changed. And I think letting you into his heart again is a good sign."

„Thank you."

The women hugged each other tightly and Cassie smiled warmly. She knew Rebekah had her way with words, but it always cheered her up.

After Rebekah left into her room, Cassie went looking for Elijah. He was on the balcony outside his room. She stepped beside the Original and he wrapped an arm around her.

Under them was another parade. It was the time of year where nearly every day was a kind of festival in the city. Cassie loved it.

„Will there ever be a time when we can just stand here and enjoy this without being afraid of something really bad to happen."

They interlaced their fingers, giving Cassie a warm feeling. He was her shoulder to lean on. Always so strong, even with death threats around them.

„I don't know my love. I honestly hope so. But I can promise you one thing. I will protect you. Always and forever. You don't need to be afraid."

Cassie smiled thoughtful.

„Always and forever...this phrase is kind of important for you, isn't it?"

„It is...You know, I always keep my word, but this vow is of great importance. I don't speak them out very often."

He cupped her cheek with his hand and showed her the scene, where he and his siblings pledged the vow a thousand years ago.

„And now little Cassie Grey is included into this promise. I'm honored."

Cassie leaned in to steal a kiss. Elijah deepened it and so they just stood there for some minutes.

After some time he took off the jacket of his suit and placed it around her bare shoulders.

„I can't freeze, you remember?"

She laughed at his gesture although finding it sweet.

„I promised to be the perfect gentleman, you remember?"

...

A hour later the peace before the storm was over.

Elijah wanted to leave to an abandoned warehouse because of another clue about his mother's whereabouts.

It reeked like trap. They all knew that.

„You won't go alone!"

Cassie yelled at Elijah.

„We had this discussion already. You stay here, I don't want you to get hurt."

„I don't want to get YOU hurt. You're the one she wants, not me!"

„You're my weak spot, love. Mother will use that."

He touched her arm and she instantly calmed a bit.

„She won't kill me and maybe this is just an empty lead. Even for you it's dangerous to go alone. Please, Elijah. I need to help. I can't sit here doing nothing any longer."

Her eyes gave him a pleading look. Elijah sighted, closing his eyes for a second nervously.

„Alright, I understand. But you'll do nothing that will get you in trouble. Promise me."

„I promise."

She took his hand and they went outside.

...

They quietly entered the warehouse, their senses on high alert.

It was nearly empty, just some old cars were gathered in the middle

Elijah noticed a sign of blood smeared into the ground. Both of them stepped closer to examine it.

Suddenly the trees outside the warehouse began to shake, although there was no wind today.

A tanned lady in her early 50s stood appeared in front of them before they could even realize that something was odd. She smiled.

„Mother."

Elijah recognized her somehow.

„Hello, my beautiful son."

Her smile grew even wider when Elijah wanted to attack her. He was thrown back into a wall and before Cassie could even move to help him she was knocked out by another mean that appeared out of now where. At first she felt the pain she had endured when she was kidnapped by the other witches.

But now everything just went black.