Goodbye

Cassie laid on her bed, nervously looking at the ceiling. She had tried everything to calm herself down, but she couldn't really concentrate on anything. So she just decided to count the minutes before Elijah safely returned.

He had went to the treacherous coven of witches two hours ago all on his own. They had argued a long time because Cassie wanted to join him, but in the end she gave up. She hated to have a fight with the person she loved most.

The point that upset her was that he went alone. He hadn't even taken one of his siblings with him and she new that these witches were capable of more then they all thought.

In addition to this she had to admit that she was afraid of what he'll do to them. Never would he just kill them...he would slaughter him. Maybe this time he would come back beyond repair. With more corpses behind the red door. She knew that he was far from being healed from what his mother did to him.

What would've happened if he hadn't found a way to bring her back from the dead? At some point he maybe would've given up and found peace with himself. It was not a secret to her that he had experienced love before her. All of them were dead by now and he must've gotten over them, too. What was different about her?

To be honest, she did not know.

Her thoughts were interrupted when the door opened and Elijah came in. Cassie flinched by the sight of him. It seemed like all of the fear she had came true.

The Original's clothing was covered in blood and it smeared all over his face. Some of it still dropped from his mouth. But it wasn't the blood that shocked her. His normally warm, chocolate eyes have hardened. She couldn't see any love in them, they were completely cold and emotionless. The hands, that have gently touched her some hours ago were clenched in fists, ready to choke everything that comes in his way to death.

This wasn't the man she loved anymore. The noble Elijah Mikaelson. He had been replaced by something else. A monster, a ruthless killer. Instinctively Cassie moved away from him in fear.

That moved something in Elijah and he awoke from his trade. But Cassie couldn't relax. Right now she could see something else in him. He had a fight with himself, he was going to do something he actually didn't want to do. Cassie remembered that look from a century ago, when he decided to leave her.

„Elijah..."

Slowly she stood up and wanted to move close to him, but he stopped her. She tried to grab his hands but it seemed that he couldn't bear her touch.

„I killed them all. You don't need to worry. You're free again."

His last sentence definitely had more than one meaning but she pretended that she didn't understand that.

„That...That's good, isn't it? Maybe we could out of town for a bit. Just the two of us."

„Cassie, I think you understood me quite well. I'm going out of town. Without you."

Tears started to burn in her eyes and she raised her hand in the air not able to the decide of she should touch him or slap him. He couldn't just leave her. Now, that everything was alright. Most of their enemies were dead and they could just live at peace forever. Like the perfect fairytale.

„No! no, you can't do this to me! You just can't."

Sobs erupted in her throat and she saw that Elijah was hardly holding himself together. He did not want this. But...

„But why? What did I do this time?"

Anger added to all the emotions she had at this moment.