Haunted

It took some minutes before Elijah got back into reality.

Cassie just gave him comfort. She just closed her eyes and took his manly scent in.

When Elijah started to shift under her embrace, she loosened her grip and looked at him.

„Are you alright?"

His gaze wandered around the room. He looked restless, tormented by something.

But what exactly was it? It had to be something from his past. Elijah was never on good terms with himself when it comes to the violence he sometimes needed to show.

„Yes. What happened when I was gone? I need to..."

His lover put a finger on his dry lips.

„You don't need to do anything right now. You will take a shower while I go get a blood bag. Then you will lay down again and get more rest. You understand me?"

She instructed. Her determined voice left no room to disobey.

The Original sighted but listened to her.

„My dear lady, explain, how can you be so commanding but at the same time be so lovely?"

„I just wrapped you around my little finger."

He gave her a small smile before disappearing into the bathroom.

Cassie stared at the ground for a second before staying up. She tried to be at least a bit cheerful to lighten him up. But she knew it didn't really worked. There was something deep down. He attempted to hide it from her but she needed to know what it was. It was her need to help him.

When she got back to the room Elijah was out of the shower closing the belt attached to his trousers.

The vampire knitted her brows in confusion.

„Why are you getting all suited up again? You need rest, Elijah!"

She stepped in front of him and placed her hands on his bare chest when he pulled her nearer.

„I apologize, my love. But I need to talk to Niklaus. We need to discuss the matter of our parents. Mother will not stop to haunt us and father wants or blood shed. I will not let that happen."

Cassie gave him a pleading look.

„Please, just for one or two hours. You know I will worry knowing you're not well."

He placed a tender kiss on her fore hand and stepped back to button his shirt and grab the blood bag Cassie carried with her.

„I will be back soon, I promise."

„But then you have to grant me favor. I need to get some of belongings from my flat. I would like you to escort me."

Elijah nodded and gently kissed her.

„Of course."

Then he disappeared.

...

Later this evening, Elijah kept his promise. They entered Cassies apartment.

„My little residence of freedom...all covered in dust."

She couldn't keep the side blow. Elijah rolled his eyes.

„You know its for you protection."

„Would be more romantic if you just said that you wanted me near you."

He pinched her in the side for that statement.

Cassie always had been an open book for Elijah. He could always feel her emotions or if she was up to something.

Right now he already saw through her plot to cheer him up. But that wasn't really possible.

He just needed to close his eyes and he saw the Red Door in front of him, blood smeared over it. Sometimes it opened a slight bit and a new cruel memory he hid from himself came to light.

His hands started to shiver and the haunting urge to clean his hands began.

Taking he deep breath he kept his hands busy by opening the drawer.

A little blue box covered in velvet caught his eye. Remembering it, he took it in his hands and opened it.

The beautiful golden ring with a small diamond in its center brought him other memories. But happier ones.

It felt like yesterday when he proposed to her.

„You still have that one?"

He liked the thought that she had always kept the symbol of their love with her.

Cassie didn't know what to say. The sight of Elijah with that ring was quite too much for her. The emotions nearly overwhelmed her. She fetched it from his hands and placed it in her pocket.

„Just forget it. It means nothing."

Elijah cupped her cheeks with his hands.

„But it meant something a long time ago. Don't let that be forgotten. It contains scenes from a better time. And maybe it will somehow be the symbol of a golden future."

Closing her eyes, Cassie took the thought in. He was being positive and that was something they both needed right now.

When she opened her eyes again and looked directly into Elijah's hazel depths, she felt the need for something else, too.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her body tight to his, staring to kiss him passionately.

After a moment, Elijah returned the kiss and buried his hands in the lengths of her blonde hair.

Maybe if he just let her in even more, it would mean release for him. Something to believe in, something he wanted to come home to.

He loved her. More than anything in the world. And it was clear that she loved him in return.

Cassie dragged him to her queen sized bed and at on his lap, pressing him down but not breaking the kiss.

But when she started to fiddle on the buttons of his shirt, he suddenly pulled away.

He was breathless.

A picture had made its way into his head. How he would bury his fangs in her tender skin, how he would drain the life out of her. He empty gaze in death.

And it all was his fault.

„This isn't real Elijah. I'm here, look at me!"

He must have shown her his thoughts accidentally.

Grabbing the sides of his head she forced him to look into her sparkling blue eyes.

„You will never hurt me. I trust you. Please trust yourself in that one thing."

Elijah started to calm down a bit and his hands stopped shaking and just looked at her.

„You're everything do you know that? I was a fool to let you go."

Cassie smiled in relief. He was back from his vision.

„You were. But it's forgiven."