I Won't Share

Katherine sat in the back of the car Elijah rented after they landed in Seattle. The vampires in front of her were in an awkward silence, none of them knowing what to say. After she annoyed them for hours because she was curious why the couple was so distant with each other, Cassie told her the story of their breakup.

Somehow Katherine felt sympathy with the girl. She knew the feeling, she went though the same. But never would she admit that. There was no possibility that she could make friendships, it would weaken her.

When she looked back to the front seat she had to confess that she had to change her plans. Never would she get in between these two. The way Elijah looked at her...he was a lovesick fool. But he seemed to truly love her, even if she couldn't see that right now. No one had ever looked at Katherine this way. She sighted, feeling a hint of jealousy in her heart.

„Can we please hurry up? This awkwardness makes me wanting to kill myself."

Cassie's head shot around, an evil smirk growing on her face.

„Oh, feel free to. You would do me a great favor."

„You think you're funny, little Cassie? Don't you see how plain and boring you are?"

„It won't be so boring to rip your head off."

Before Katherine could reply with another threat, Elijah interrupted them.

„Calm yourself. You will both need your energy for finding this doctor and his serum."

Cassie and Katherine sighted. Only Elijah Mikaelson could get a crowd of feisty furies under control. Even though it made him a terrible headache.

But he was right. No one of them knew what they were looking for. They didn't know how he looked like, neither did they know where is lab was located. And more importantly: they didn't know how dangerous he was. He could be an ordinary vampire, which would be easy for Elijah. But it was unlikely to be easy. He definitely must have found a way to protect his studies.

It was already late in the evening when they arrived at the hotel. Fortunately it was close to the city and the university, were they wanted to start their search. The hotel was pretty luxury but seemed a bit crowed because of an event in the city.

When receptionist told the group that there were only two rooms left, Katherine quickly grabbed one of the keys the woman handed over and disappeared with a wink.

„Sleep well, lovebirds!"

Cassie and Elijah gave each other a look and sighted. That would be tense. In the last days it was a explosion of emotions when these two were left together in one room.

Elijah paid for the rooms and motioned for Cassie to follow him.

...

The silence followed them into the room. When one of them started to say something, they quickly shut their mouths again, reconsidering the words, but never finding a way to rephrase. They just sat on the bed an stared at each other.

Suddenly, Cassie rolled her eyes and disappeared into the bathroom. Elijah heard the water falling down on the showers ground shortly after.

He remembered the last time when she entered the bathroom and he stood in front of the door not knowing what to do. It was the night after she came back from the dead, he was too afraid that she could disappear again when he let her out of his eyes. He then entered and went inside the shower with her and shared passionate kisses and even more...

The Original shook his head, breaking out of the memory. This thoughts were not appropriate right now. He had to struggle to not to touch her every time he saw her. He wanted to feel her soft skin, her willing lips and her lovely voice to whisper his name...

In this moment, the woman of his desire entered the room again. Wearing nothing but a towel wrapped around her. Oh, how much he wanted to rip this cloth off her...

With her chin high, she grabbed her grocery bag from her suitcase, but before she could enter the bathroom again, she met his lustful gaze. Shivers ran down her spine. She clenched her hands in fists because otherwise he would see them shaking. She felt the heat growing inside her, a heat that was hard to resist, now that she remembered what it felt when he touched her.

She took a deep breath and stepped forward. Right when Elijah thought she would rush into his arms, the door of the bathroom shut close behind her.

...

Cassie needed nearly an hour to collect herself again. She just stood there silently, looking at her reflection in the mirror, trying to calm her breath. This tension she felt when she was around him...it nearly consumed her. For a moment she didn't know a reason why she should resist him.

But when she wanted to give in, the memories of the pain came back quickly. She didn't know what to. On the one hand, she felt nothing but desire around him. He was so handsome, he was gentle and rough at same time and everything inside her wanted him. On the other hand, he betrayed her so deeply, she just couldn't forgive him.

Cassie went back to the room, knowing she could control herself. Elijah had already opened his shirt and took his trousers off. It was a moment of intimacy that reminded her that they shared everything. That they were married. That once it was normal for them to be laid back in the other's presence.

It was hard for Cassie not to look at him and to just go into bed. She curled into a ball under the blankets, trying to place herself as far as possible from him.

Elijah followed her, laying on the side and looking at her back facing him. She was so close, he just had to stretch out his arms and he could pull her into an embrace.

„Cassie?"

He whispered after more time in silence passed.

„Yes?"

She couldn't sleep in this tensed up atmosphere, she was almost happy that he started to speak first.

„I...I'm sorry."

„I know."

Still she didn't turn around to look him in the eyes. She couldn't, she knew that she couldn't resist his sad, beautiful eyes.

„I miss you. I know I made a mistake and I understand why you can't forgive me, but I can't imagine an eternity without you. I...I love you. More than anything in the world."

A single tear ran down Elijah's cheek and also Cassie's eyes were filled with the salty liquid. She sobbed and it seemed to shake her whole body.

This broke something in Elijah. He grabbed her waist with his strong hands and pulled her closely to him. She buried her face into his bare chest, he felt the wet tears on his skin. Lightly he rocked her back and forth and stroked her hair to give her the comfort she needed.

Cassie cried half the night in Elijah's embrace. The pain and the torment of the last year came out of her and to her surprise it simply felt right to be comforted by her former husband and somehow she felt into a deep sleep out of exhaustion.